So I have my macbook, now what?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arcite, Oct 23, 2010.

1. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Just a few quick questions; I just unpacked my macbook last night (its awesome), I registered, I ran software update (downloaded 1.4 gigs of updates), and now I'm charging up to calibrate the battery. Is there anything else I'm supposed to do or should be downloading? Any special software or updates that I need? What about optimizing? Or do we not need to do any of that on osx? :D

PS: I'm migrating from Vista... Mac is so much better!
    Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You've already ran the Software Update so you should be fine. Just browse through the System Preferences and make it good for you.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I'd like to go against what many people will tell you - they tell you you absolutely must install <list of applications>, but really, just learn about using it and see what the built in software can do for you. If you're coming from Windows, it takes time just to learn the OSx. Later if you want more you can try installing one of the many many "must have" apps that people will say you absolutely need,

4. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

I've only been using Mac's for a year or so, I found that the software I needed to install to get it 'how I wanted' was minimal thanks to how feature rich OS X is. All I needed to install was CS4, Office, Chrome, Firefox, VLC & a few utilities and that was it!

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You should be good to go. Only thing I did to begin with is download firefox and I was ready to roll.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

now what? You use the damn thing, that's what. :p

7. arcite thread starter macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Wow, thanks for all the advice.

I ended up downloading 10 updates, although I'm not sure what kind of new features were added. I'll figure it out as I go. I'm really digging the new touch pad. I discovered Apple's site for OS X and there appears to be alot of info on there. The battery on this thing lasts forever, it took me all day to drain it before I could start the reconditioning.

My old toshiba's battery lasted under an hour.
    :apple:

8. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Welcome to the Mac!
    One feature I really wanted was the ability to maximize windows to fit the whole screen. The green dot + button didn't fully maximize the screen, whereas I liked the ability to maximize the window. Try out cinch.
    I also downloaded hyperdock, for previewing applications that were running straight from the dock.

9. altecXP macrumors 65816

How is that different from any other OS? With the exception of MSE on my Windows PC ai have the same apps on both.

10. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

download istat pro and then you will be fully set :)

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not a pro:

13. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Now what?

Make something beautiful.

With words.

With pictures.

With whatever you want.

14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You might want to run Software Update again as sometimes updates will show up after other updates are installed. Have you seen this section of the Apple Site: Switch 101. Enjoy the MacBook and welcome to the light side! :)

15. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Option click the green + button.

16. kidwithdimples macrumors 6502a

17. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

18. lbro macrumors 6502a

lbro

Still won't work that way.

19. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Oops. Works in Firefox, I thought it worked for other apps but apparently not. Sorry for passing on mis-information.:(

20. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

The only things I think are a must install are the following:

Perian = codec pack for lots of media formats,

Flip4Mac = WMV/WMA support,

and possibly,

XiphQT = for Ogg Theora/Vorbis support.

21. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Once you run software updates and go through all the preferences, download a few fav wallpapers, set up your iTunes account (you can listen to internet radio while you work - pick a good one and chose your favorite equalizer setting or create your own for best sound - make sure you don't damage the speakers, go for best sound without distortion), then you can begin to import all your photos, music and movie collections. Doing all this will help you learn MAC OS X and iLife. Don't forget to check out all the beginner's guides here at macrumors.com and apple.com, learn a few key short cuts. Also, set up your application preferences for applications like Safari (or your favorite browser if you download it - set up your bookmarks too) and others as you open/use them (once in open application, go through the options/selection on the top menu bar). Customize your dock with icons for commonly used apps, remove non-used apps, and customize your dashboard widgets.

Here's a Mac app list for you to check out:

http://www.lifeintech.co.uk/mac-101/top-mac-applications.html

I've downloaded caffeine - comes in handy when using skype.

ps: don't forget to register your new Macbook:

https://register.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/GlobaliReg.woa