Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
What would be the benefit of me to upgrade? I don't see a compelling reason to get a G3 version. What are the plus and minus

Globug

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2012
Brisbane Australia
I too have the SS original watch. It's doing everything I need. Slowly but doing it. I'll happily wait till next year or even the year after before I update.

KrisLord

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2008
Northumberland, UK
Performance is the main gain.

I’ve had a series 0, 1 and 3 all in aluminium.

The performance gain from 0-1 was huge as it went to dual core and I can tell the difference going to series 3.

If you use your watch without your phone then GPS and LTE can be useful.

Siri is also much improved on the latest watches.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Performance is the main gain.

I’ve had a series 0, 1 and 3 all in aluminium.

The performance gain from 0-1 was huge as it went to dual core and I can tell the difference going to series 3.

If you use your watch without your phone then GPS and LTE can be useful.

Siri is also much improved on the latest watches.

My issue is I don’t like the non stainless steel ones and they don’t have them in Norway as they don’t sell the lte one :(

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
Had the Series 0 SS until this year and finally caved in for the Series 3 SS. Swim tracking is awesome and well worth it for that alone but with the Cellular, the extra sensors and the performance gains.. well worth it.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
Had the Series 0 SS until this year and finally caved in for the Series 3 SS. Swim tracking is awesome and well worth it for that alone but with the Cellular, the extra sensors and the performance gains.. well worth it.
Again the SS version gen 3 isn’t here in Norway :(

TonyC17

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2016
I upgraded from the first generation Stainless Steel to the Space Black Series 3. The difference in speed is night and day. I can’t believe the huge difference. The Series 3 is wicked fast and I use Siri way more often. I highly recommend you upgrade! I sold my old Watch to a website and got $150 for it too.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
I upgraded from the first generation Stainless Steel to the Space Black Series 3. The difference in speed is night and day. I can’t believe the huge difference. The Series 3 is wicked fast and I use Siri way more often. I highly recommend you upgrade! I sold my old Watch to a website and got $150 for it too.
Yeah I know I will see how I feel when I’m over in the UK. I still might.

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Two words...Battery Life. Prior to WatchOS 4 would usually end the day on my S0 with about 50%. After WatchOS 4 my battery would end in the 20-30% range and sometimes go into power reserve mode if I was out late. The S3 watch finishes the day at 70-80% on most days and on weekends (when i'm not getting work emails), I can end in the 80-90% range. I can easily wear the watch for 2 days without recharging now. That was never really the case with my S0, except on rare occasions.

Reactions: TonyC17

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Agreed. The biggest factor besides LTE is the faster dual core processor with the Series 3. Especially with load times, WatchOS updates, applications, etc.

Reactions: TonyC17

XciteMePls

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
I had the original Apple Watch (42mm SS) and skipped the Series 2. The upgrade to Series 3 was long overdue... the watch had become SO annoyingly slow, apps crashed, etc. Never had a problem with battery life, but it's just the watch was so slow after Watch OS 2. All I could use it for was to tell time.

I just got Series 3 (42mm SS) and I can't stress how much faster this watch is. It's FAST, everything zips and pops up almost instantly. Battery life is insane, I went like 2 hours today walking to the gym and working out and controlling music on my watch face, and when I left the gym it was still at 100% battery (I wasn't running the workout app, mind you, but it was still doing all its science biometric stuff the whole time while my heart rate was elevated).

And the more I look at the infamous red crown, the more I admire it. It gives it a special touch and it compliments the stainless steel case very well.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I have a Series 3 but I think the Series 0 is still great for 80% of what you’d need a watch for. What you’re really missing out on is Siri and 3rd party apps. Siri is MUCH smoother on the Series 3 and 3rd party apps are way quicker. However, there are few 3rd party apps that most people are going to use.

Since I think the aluminum watches are ugly, especially after the face gets all scratched up, I’d rather have a Series 0 Stainless Steel than any other series aluminum.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
I have a Series 3 but I think the Series 0 is still great for 80% of what you’d need a watch for. What you’re really missing out on is Siri and 3rd party apps. Siri is MUCH smoother on the Series 3 and 3rd party apps are way quicker. However, there are few 3rd party apps that most people are going to use.

Since I think the aluminum watches are ugly, especially after the face gets all scratched up, I’d rather have a Series 0 Stainless Steel than any other series aluminum.

Yeah thats why I haven't upgraded
[doublepost=1512466504][/doublepost]Question, if I got the SS Apple Watch from apple in the UK. Would I be able to swap the band to the band I have on my OG SS?

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
No, I meant: why wouldn't you be able to swap the band to the band you have on your S0 SS (not "0G")? All Apple Watch bands are interchangeable.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
No, I meant: why wouldn't you be able to swap the band to the band you have on your S0 SS (not "0G")? All Apple Watch bands are interchangeable.
yeah I didn't realise you could until earlier today
[doublepost=1512483387][/doublepost]
So its fully waterproof?

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK
yeah I didn't realise you could until earlier today
[doublepost=1512483387][/doublepost]
So its fully waterproof?

Yeah, the S3 with Watch OS 4 is awesome in the pool. It even works out the stroke you were doing :D

IMG_AB31B290A989-1.jpeg

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
What would be the benefit of me to upgrade? I don't see a compelling reason to get a G3 version. What are the plus and minus

1. the biggest is speed. many multiples of times faster at doing everything.
2. 2x brighter display, most useful in sunlight.
3. 30%+ bigger battery with 50%+ greater battery life in the real world.
4. waterproof. has fitness tracking for swimming (both pool and ocean.)
5. built in GPS/GLOSNASS chip which doesn't require a paired iPhone for location tracking.
6. daily resting HR, VO2 max tracking, abnormal high heart rate alert, new on watch heart charts, and access to be part of the stanford heart study are unavailable to series 0 watches.
7. LTE functionality is available at an added monthly cost.
8. LTE models have double the internal storage space for music and apps.
9. elevation tracking, stairs climbed etc. with an internal barometric altimeter.
10. siri now talks back to you with an internal speaker in the watch.

Reactions: iamasmith
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.