So I installed the Wrapsol and my advice is....

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by St8kout, Jul 1, 2010.

1. St8kout macrumors regular

and my advice is to forget all these screen protector products and get one of the many open front cases that stays on the phone all the time yet provides drop protection.

Unless you have access to an Intel dust-free clean room, dust is a real problem when you try to put these on. When you are putting them on, you better be able to do it right the very first time, because as soon as you try to peel it back and reset it, dust is going to start accumulating quite rapidly as any plastic product easily becomes charged and starts attracting it out of the air. Trying to wash it off and apply again becomes an effort in futility. The more you mess with it the more dust particles get stuck to the sticky side.

With this knowledge I did the screen side in one and only one attempt. Got it on but slightly offcenter of the Home button, and only 1 speck of dust at the top by the camera. I'm not about to peel it back to try to remove it. Been there, done that. And it looks a hell of a lot better than the backside with it's countless dust particles firmly embedded in the film. It's never going to look as good as the glass and it was a real pain to install.

One of the tradeoffs Apple made going with glass is that it is VERY hard to scratch. Break yes, but scratch, no, so you still need a case even with screen protectors. Wrapsol, or any other similar product is not going to help when you drop your phone on the concrete and fracture the glass, although it will probably hold the glass shards together, but what good is that? It's still going to look like crap.

So when I can find a case I like and not sold out like that are now, I will happily peel off that crap and insert my shiney glass-exposed phone into the case and wipe it off occasionally with the micro fiber cloth than came with the Wrapsol.

2. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I put mine on last night with no problems at all. Aside from Wrapsol, I've also applied BestSkinsEver to BlackBerry devices with no issues.

I usually wipe everything down really well and keep a can of compressed air on standby. The air keeps it pretty dust free and then I'll immediately apply the skin.

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

Install them in the bathroom after having run the shower hot until steam is all around the room. This helps capture dust and settle it, enabling you to get the job done in a less dusty environment.

Work carefully, but don't try to overwork it or second guess yourself. I learned the hard way by trying to push out a bubble, but left a squeegee mark in the surface of the skin. No biggie, but it would have been great without the mark.

The idea of keeping the glass exposed is okay, but there is no protection whatsoever to the idea of dropping on concrete. At least with a skin, you have a chance. Without the skin, you can get a gash in the glass if it is not the kind of drop that creates a glass crack.

4. St8kout thread starter macrumors regular

Think you missed my point of forgetting screen protectors and buying a case instead. I'm kind of leaning towards the CandyShell case in black. Wish they had one with a carbon fiber look.

I'm also finding that I don't like the feel of it when I'm sliding my finger across the screen. Kind of a rubbery resistance to it.
    One more thing, would it have really been so hard for Wrapsol to include tabs to separate the backing from the skin like other products do?

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

From what people have been saying about their iPhone slipping out of their hands, maybe the resistance is a good thing.

6. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

This problem is easily solved and its too bad you are now telling the masses that screen protectors are "terrible" because you were not able to install it properly.

If you did a little research on the best ways to install them you would find that installing it in a steamy bathroom will solve any dust issue you have.

So please stop advocating false statements over your own incompetence to install a skin without getting dust underneath.

For people who dont worry about dropping your phone, a skin is, single handedly the best way to keep the original form factor while providing some scratch protection.

7. Nieval macrumors 6502

Although the OP is entitled to his opinion, I have to say that I disagree with his comment. I have installed these products on numerous items and if you follow the provided instructions you should have more than satisfactory results.

Regarding Wrapsol, I installed the Original for my iP4 less than two days ago and honestly believe its the best protective skin product I have ever used. I did opt for the 'Steamed-Bathroom Technique' but that was me being overly cautious. I can vet for these guys and hope that one unfortunate user experience/impression doesn't turn people off their great products.

8. FieldingMellish Suspended

I did misread the statement, "sliding your shiny glass exposed phone into the case" - I thought that the glass remains exposed.

The rubbery feel is real, but I have gotten over it. The rubbery feel is like an ice skater gliding on ice with a bungee attached to their ankles.

9. Cakester macrumors regular

I definitely disagree. I know it's possible to apply these without dust and giving the fact that I never had one on my iPhone 3G, my re-sell price suffered. These skins are the "clearest" methods of protection and will keep those surfaces looking brand new.

10. St8kout thread starter macrumors regular

Well 48 hours later I still stand by my statement about going ONLY with using a case and no screen protector.

I mean really, in 2 years time when your ATT contract runs out and Apple has just announced their latest model that will be an Evo-killer (<<<satire for the way too serious ppl) that projects live 3D holographic images of the person you are speaking to, along with quadraphonic high definition sound...

Ok, so maybe phones won't be that adanced in 2 years, but just the same everyone will stand in huge lines to be first to get whatever new hot item Apple and the rest come out with. And you will pay your $200, sign another 2 year contract, and hope you can con someone into buying your old, antiquated, dinosaur-era iphone4 that you were so meticulous with about protecting the screen, only to find out that it was scratch proof all along and doesn't look any better than those without a screen protector.

I'm just saying....

11. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

If it helps, it is possible to install the ultra as a wet install. Take it off, wash it down, clean off the screen, and reinstall. You should be able to avoid most dust particles this way.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

Selling used to the many buyers who prefer to be behind the curve for frugality sake, the scratchless iPhone will furnish a higher return.

13. fastd macrumors member

To try a wet install with the Ultra, what do you use as the wetting agent. Just tap water? Would seem that would leave behind some minerals. Would not distilled water be better?

14. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I used bottled water from my home water cooler. I wouldn't use tap water for just the reason you guessed. It'll likely leave behind barely noticeable minerals or chlorine.

When I ran out of the Wrapsol spray (is that water?) I re-filled it with clean filtered water and it worked like a charm.

15. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Zagg's skin uses a dish soap/water combo. If your water only version worked then good to know.