Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
So far i am loving it.... I have a few questions.

1. Is there anyway to backup your phone while jailbroken?
2. What happens if apple releases an update for the phone and i want it. If i install the new update over this one will it corrupt the phone? will it unjailbrake it? or is it impossible to do it with a jailbreak.
3. if 2 is answered the way i think it may be it might answer 3 but. Is factory rest the only way to unjailbreak your phone?
4. WHAT IS SOME MUST HAVE APPS!!!!!!

BurntReality

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Tyler, TX
1. You backup your phone just like normal while jailbroken.
(unless you are talking about backing up jailbreak apps, the there are many options such as pkbackup)

2. If Apples releases an update, and you want to continue to enjoy your jailbreak, then you must wait until a jailbreak is available for that iOS.

3. Restore your phone to get rid of jailbreak

4. Search the forums for must have apps. That being said my personal must haves are:

BiteSMS
SBsettings
Folder Enhancer (paid app)
and I really like Barrel (paid app) but it is not a must have (it just looks really cool)

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Number 4

I'm quoting someone:

Recommended (off the top of my head):

AptBackup
This compiles the list of apps/tweaks/themes you've installed via Cydia. It doesn't actually back up any apps themselves or any associated data, but it does create a little file that, when you sync your phone (jailbroken or not) gets saved in your iTunes backup file. If you ever lose the jailbreak or restore, AptBackup will reinstall all of your packages/jailbreak apps in one step. (more info)

BiteSMS
Widely discussed. I will say that this app is worth jailbreaking for, all by itself. (more info)

Call Bar
Stops incoming calls from interrupting you in whatever you're doing by notifying you through the notification center at the top of the screen. (more info)

Five Icon Dock
Just what the name implies, it squeezes five app icons into the Springboard dock instead of four. (more info)

IntelliscreenX
If the iOS notification center is a little league diamond, this turns it into a major league stadium. It's a feature-rich, paged expansion of notification center. (more info)

Lockscreen Dim Delay
Allows you to specify how long the backlight stays on during lockscreen notifications, from 1 second up to 30 minutes ...for those who hate their batteries. I like to have 15-20 seconds set for mine. (more info)

My3G
Another favorite, My3G unshackles your apps from the restrictions imposed by being on a carrier network. That is, for example, YouTube dumbs down video quality when you're not on WiFi, and the App Store will not allow you to download apps over a certain size until you connect to WiFi. Most importantly, it allows Facetime use over the network. Essentially, it tricks your apps into thinking they're on WiFi when they're not. Useful. (more info)

WeatherIcon
I use this to put the current outdoor temperature and weather conditions in little icons on the status bar. (more info)

-----
There are hundreds and thousands of tweaks, apps, themes, etc available, but these are always good starters with which to baptize yourself into the world of jailbreaking. All of these are available through the installer known as "Cydia", an app you'll find when you first jailbreak.

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
So far i am loving it.... I have a few questions.

1. Is there anyway to backup your phone while jailbroken?
2. What happens if apple releases an update for the phone and i want it. If i install the new update over this one will it corrupt the phone? will it unjailbrake it? or is it impossible to do it with a jailbreak.
3. if 2 is answered the way i think it may be it might answer 3 but. Is factory rest the only way to unjailbreak your phone?
4. WHAT IS SOME MUST HAVE APPS!!!!!!

1. You can still use iTunes
2. don't update or you will end up having to restore and you will lose the jailbreak.
3. Yes
4. BiteSMS, MyWi, intelliscreenX.

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
BiteSMS, Folder Enhancer, SBSettings, and FakeClockup are my favorites.

Just JB my wifes phone last night and with fakeclockup it is faster than my 4S!

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Well never really looked into the jailbreak back up sort of just did it. So if i backup jailbroken apps it wont do it?
Also what do they have on pass wording certain folders and programs if possible. ahh just so much to take in!

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
The animations and transitions are dramatically decreased therefor
everything feels much faster. After you try it you'll see what I mean.
It is a great tweak! After you install it access it through settings and pick
a speed. Try 2.5 first and see what a difference it make.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
The animations and transitions are dramatically decreased therefor
everything feels much faster. After you try it you'll see what I mean.
It is a great tweak! After you install it access it through settings and pick
a speed. Try 2.5 first and see what a difference it make.

Holy .... Best app I ever had. Thanks guys! Why wouldn't you use 10x?

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2010
Anyone notice when jailbroken but viewing pics in normal sms it takes a second or 2 longer to open, and it slightly freezing at the search zone on the iphone?

Armeniandave

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
San Diego
The transitions between opening and closing apps.There's some animation in there to make them smooth. Fakeclockup essentially reduces that time making it appear much quicker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.