So I just bought a 9.7

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
I just bought the iPad Pro 9.7, and now loving it. The speakers are amazing, and I haven't had a chance to get the pencil just yet, but I'll pick one of those up soon.

What apps would you guys recommend? I have noticed that YouTube does not support PiP unfortunately.

I am mostly using this iPad to replace my MacBook Air. If I need a full computer, I have an iMac at home. I installed MS Word already.

So what other apps? Mostly productivity ones...that are optimized for the pro?

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Office indeed, PDF expert, Ulysses, slack, screens, Spotify and Goodnotes. Then there is my newspaper, purify, procreate and canon print. Those are the most used/important to me.

Edit: forgot printer pro to be able to print at the office.

Reactions: Wackery

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
When you get the pencil I suggest Notability. I rewrote a good chunk of my notebooks into it and haven't had any problems.

Reactions: Hevelius

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
It is an amazing device all around. I haven't felt for a second since I got it about 2 weeks ago that I'm missing anything. The pencil is well worth the cost if you're going to use it. There are a ton of apps that the Pencil works with, Procreate, Adobe Draw and Line and Concepts if you're into CAD.
Sidebooks, Spotify, Netflix, Duet, and Boomarang are apps I use a lot. I never expected the camera in an iPad to be this good (still running iPhone 5, I'm sure it's not as impressive to those with a 6S).

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Notes Plus, IMO, is by far the best note taking app I've used. I love it. Better than Notability.
What are the differences or why do you like it better than Notability. I'm using Notability now and it meets all my needs but if there's a better app out there, I'm always open to try it.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2015
I just bought the iPad Pro 9.7, and now loving it. The speakers are amazing, and I haven't had a chance to get the pencil just yet, but I'll pick one of those up soon.

What apps would you guys recommend? I have noticed that YouTube does not support PiP unfortunately.

I am mostly using this iPad to replace my MacBook Air. If I need a full computer, I have an iMac at home. I installed MS Word already.

So what other apps? Mostly productivity ones...that are optimized for the pro?

Well you can get Logitech Keys To Go which is a nice keyboard with Apple short cuts for $19.99 on eBay $160 for a keyboard too much. And you can get a 9.7 Pro Moko case on Amaz for like $7.00 and it's perfect.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Congratulations on your purchase, great decision! The Apple Pencil will make this a whole different device when you get it.

Microsoft Office apps- allows drawing and highlighting
PDF Expert- Great for contracts
Goodnotes- This app is excellent for note taking, also great to take a photo of previous notes I have taken, and I can write and highlight as if I took the note on the screen to begin with.
Pixelmator
Scanner Pro
Dropbox
If you want to test your speakers and picture, Trailers is a great app.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
What are the differences or why do you like it better than Notability. I'm using Notability now and it meets all my needs but if there's a better app out there, I'm always open to try it.
I'm a teacher. The main advantage Goodnotes 4 has for me is that I can connect it to a projector, and the students don't see any of the user-interface elements I see, they just see the full page. That allows me to use a zoom box to write large characters so I can write larger characters, so it's neater, while what I write appears normal size on the screen.

Heisenberg888

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2014
Me too, got mine yesterday. Still hanging onto my Mini 4, as I can't bear to part with it, yet.

One app I do love, as I use my iPads mainly for reading news is Flipboard. It's similar app to Apple's News, but I prefer the flip function for turning pages.