Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
I am so glad I did, this OS was made for the multi touch gestures and now I am really seeing how Apple is changing the way you interact with your computer. One thing I couldn't do without the multitouch which is just especially cool is the sliding to the previous page thing where it underlays the previous page under the current when you make the swiping gesture that represents the back button. That's just so cool! The pinch to zoom in Safari is pretty cool as well. Along with all the other gestures the trackpad had already supported under SL. I just wish there was a way to set a gesture to switch between tabs, that would speed up my daily workflow immensely.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
Good news, you can probably do this with BetterTouchTool. Simply create a gesture of your choice and map it to the keystroke ctrl+leftshift for next tab, shift+ctrl+leftshit for previous tab.

arteggio

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2010
Pittsburgh
One thing I couldn't do without the multitouch which is just especially cool is the sliding to the previous page thing where it underlays the previous page under the current when you make the swiping gesture that represents the back button. That's just so cool! The pinch to zoom in Safari is pretty cool as well.

I don't think I've seen it brought up much here on the forums (rather, some people have even been assuming it's impossible?), but the Magic Mouse can also do this, with one finger for Safari history swiping and single-finger double tap for zoom in/out (and two-finger double-tap for Mission Control). The Magic Trackpad has definitely been outshining the MM in these features.

BetterTouchTool is amazing with either device though. I can perform about seven different functions on my Magic Mouse alone, not including left and right click. :) I can't imagine how many functions the Trackpad could do on top of the vast multi-finger repertoire it already has...

Shorties

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
Southern California
I don't think I've seen it brought up much here on the forums (rather, some people have even been assuming it's impossible?), but the Magic Mouse can also do this, with one finger for Safari history swiping and single-finger double tap for zoom in/out (and two-finger double-tap for Mission Control). The Magic Trackpad has definitely been outshining the MM in these features.

BetterTouchTool is amazing with either device though. I can perform about seven different functions on my Magic Mouse alone, not including left and right click. :) I can't imagine how many functions the Trackpad could do on top of the vast multi-finger repertoire it already has...

Oh it's good they put support in it for the Magic Mouse as well. All I had before this trackpad was the non multitouch trackpad in my macbook pro and a mighty mouse. So this whole gesture support on a desktop OS is all new to me, I am getting use to it though, I really like it a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.