So I just dropped my Macbook/opinions needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ndpuckhead, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ndpuckhead macrumors member

It was in sleep mode opened up, threre are no dents. I shut it off and when I start out up again, it's stuck on the silver screen with the apple on it. I can hear the fan running. Is there anything I can do?

2. ndpuckhead thread starter macrumors member

Now all I get is a circle with a line through it. That can't be good. Looks like a trip to the apple store for me.

3. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried any of the steps in the above post? Or is that not a valid opinion?

4. ndpuckhead thread starter macrumors member

Yes i have, thank you for the links, no luck.

5. simsaladimbamba

Then the HDD is probably kaputt. I hope you have a backup?

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Yeah, SMS can't protect against a high-G drop

7. simsaladimbamba

It should, but as the HDD was shut off during sleep (this accident happened during the Mac sleeping?), the SMS was not activated, but the read/write head was also parked. Maybe it is something else then.

I hope you have a backup then.

8. yourmother macrumors regular

Was it a Macbook or Macbook Pro? The MBP aluminum usually always dents with a drop which costs a heck of a lot to replace. If it is just the hard drive, which is what I think it might be, thats not too bad considering.

9. thundersteele macrumors 68030

You can
    a) try to boot from a SL install disc (if it's a pre Lion model), and maybe run a hardware check
    b) connect an external HDD, boot into recovery mode and try to install OSX and run the laptop from the external disc

If the above is mostly successful, you just have to replace the HDD and it could be fine.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Could be a lot of things....Dropping the machine could have unseated RAM, damaged mountings, loosened connections etc. etc. A trip to the store would be your best bet OP.

11. ndpuckhead thread starter macrumors member

Turns out the hard drive was shot. Hopefully they can get some of the data of it, add it to the lessons learned file. Thanks everyone for your help.