Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ratfink

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
There was even a large puddle sitting on top of the machine and running down the sides. I thought for sure the computer would short out, fry something, and power down. Instead it let me do a normal shutdown. After I unplugged the machine and dried the outside off completely I opened it up to find only a few drops had made it inside. There was no moisture on the circuit boards or drives and only a small amount had made it to the upper inside rim of the case.

Booted back up today and everything is running great. Thank goodness for good engineering and design.

StephenCampbell

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2009
Be careful. Apple's agents are pruning these forums, and if amidst all the discussions full of people desperately wanting a new competitive workstation they see one post of a guy impressed about the Mac Pro's water-resistance abilities, they may say "Oh that's what they want! A Mac Pro that they can use underwater! Let's get on it!"

:rolleyes:

ratfink

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
Be careful. Apple's agents are pruning these forums, and if amidst all the discussions full of people desperately wanting a new competitive workstation they see one post of a guy impressed about the Mac Pro's water-resistance abilities, they may say "Oh that's what they want! A Mac Pro that they can use underwater! Let's get on it!"

You heard it here first, folks! Apple is discontinuing the cheese-grater Mac Pros!

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Wow what a scare! Good news nothing was damaged.
Most PC cases have fans & grills all over them.

Ok so now a question for the electronics pros out there... if water had got onto the components, what's the likelyhood of it frying instantly?

If not immediately damaged what would be the correct recovery procedure? Let it dry out for a few days & fire it up again?

I know a friend of mine went swimming with his mobile phone on in his pocket, let it dry out and it still worked perfectly. However that thing definitely did not have a 1000W power supply haha :p

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161

Actually, I'd die for such a computer.

DJenkins

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2012
Sydney, Australia
"Deadliest Catch" production crew, using waterproof mac pros to ingest footage and process rushes while getting swamped by huge waves... could happen?

edit:
Just noticed your work in your signature, you may not be joking haha :D

Last edited:

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
if water had got onto the components, what's the likelyhood of it frying instantly?
Sheer luck! Depending on whether it shorts some live (i.e. 3.3V) or passive (i.e. data) contacts. And even then it depends on component quality and how good the protection is against shorting/overvoltage and the such.

If not immediately damaged what would be the correct recovery procedure? Let it dry out for a few days & fire it up again?
Dry out for sure. Depending on the liquid and the amount that's been spilled it might be a good idea to try and clean the remnants from the PCB as those might still be conductive. Pure water alone for example is merely conductive - it's the minerals etc. in it that do the harm. And the latter substances usually stay on the PCB after the water has dried away.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Don't feel bad. My 3 year old washes off my 27" monitor everyday by sneezing on it. :rolleyes:

d-m-a-x

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2011
the big danger with liquid are short circuts. if the machine did not fry right away, and dries completely, your probably ok. thing to do is to turn it off immediatly, yank the plug (unless there is an electircal hazard, in which case turn the mains off in the circut box) or if a laptop or phone - pull the battery

----------

the big danger with liquid are short circuts. if the machine did not fry right away, and dries completely, your probably ok. thing to do is to turn it off immediatly, yank the plug (unless there is an electircal hazard, in which case turn the mains of in the circut boxA) or if a paptop or phone - pull the battery

if its soda or beer, your screwed. the sugars will eat circutry

ratfink

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
the big danger with liquid are short circuts. if the machine did not fry right away, and dries completely, your probably ok. thing to do is to turn it off immediatly, yank the plug (unless there is an electircal hazard, in which case turn the mains off in the circut box) or if a laptop or phone - pull the battery

----------

if its soda or beer, your screwed. the sugars will eat circutry

It's funny. It was so much water I just assumed I was screwed and there was nothing that could save it. I had some virtual machines running and I waited for them to shutdown before shutting down the main OS. My only Time Machine backup is on an internal drive as well. I'm very, very lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.