So I just ordered a refurb.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by soldierblue, Dec 5, 2009.

1. soldierblue macrumors 6502

It'll be my first refurb from Apple. Should I expect a mint perfect laptop?

2. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

It depends what you think mint perfect Macs are now that QC is taking a nosedive (from my experience). I wouldn't expect perfect, because it is a refurb, but it's quite likely. I've had some terrific refurbs and some bad ones.

I had an Air that was warped on the side where the person obviously picked it up really hard with one hand, but the main defect nowadays is pitting in the aluminum, especially on the edges. I'd say you have a pretty good chance of seeing that.

The worse was the first refurb I purchased, it was a 24" iMac. What was finally determined was that they forgot to refurbish it; the bottom plastic piece had fallen off and gotten this really sticky adhesive all over the screen and base. The plastic cover had also obviously been removed and not replaced at the factory. So, my first Mac experience was physically cleaning my new computer off for three hours. They gave me the option of returning it or a $159 refund. I took the refund.

Good thing is that you can send it back if you aren't happy with it. In my experience Apple's phone support is still top-notch...I just wish I didn't have to use it so damn much. I have the worst luck with Apple products.

3. Stephen Dowling macrumors regular

Stephen Dowling

Yes! I'm typing on a refurbished 13" MBP right now! It is completely flawless! I seriously can't tell the difference between this and a brand new one. Technically though refurbs are new! Also, mine came with 4 gigs of RAM instead of two! You'll love it man! :D

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just like new. Occasionally some users have complained about some minor things, but generally most say that they can't notice the difference.