So I just ordered a refurb'd 2.26ghz Phat Mini...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sikkinixx, Jun 22, 2010.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Is there a downside I am not seeing compared to the skinny mini? Basically I want a mini to serve as my every-day computer (music, web, photos, etc) while my PC still needs to exist due to the hundreds (... or maybe thousands :eek:) of dollars worth of games sitting in my Steam account that even the lowly 4850 won't do justice to.

I love the new design, and the built in power supply and HDMI are all nice and dandy... but the refurb 2.26ghz model was $550 (cdn) and the cheapest I can get the new one for is $700 after edu discount. I'm thinking speed wise that $150+tax is better spent on more ram.

Any thoughts?

2. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

It'll do what you seem to want it to. If you're happy with the money it costs, I think that's all the justification that you need.

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

Well definitely more happy than $700. Just wondering if I was missing something (ie. "I would stick with the new one as it does x significantly better".)

4. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Ah, I see.

Well, the new one will be better for gaming; not great, but better. It will also be better for HD video playback; I have yet to see whether it can run unadulterated Blu-ray dumps (I hope that it can...), but reviews have commented on the 2010 Mini doing a better job with HD online media.

5. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

:D lol, what's the fun in "unadulterated Blu-ray dumps";)

jokes aside, I have a feeling it would be ok, when I owned my 2.66ghz c2d iMac with 4 gigs of ram I could play the m2ts dumps off ripped blurays.

I got the server ver. with the 2.66 and 4gb ram, so I would think it has the horsepower to do it, haven't tried yet tho.

6. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well its too late now! They said "4-6 days to ship" giving me lots of time to think and maybe cancel.... and then it shipped the next day. So it's gonna be mine next week :p

7. balwx macrumors regular

I picked up the same system a few weeks ago. My uses are along the lines of yours, so this system is great. Mine also shipped a little earlier which was great.
    :)

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

For that much, I'd much rather buy the new mac mini as the 320m is miles and heaps faster than the 9400m.

9. Katyusha macrumors member

Last weekend the nearest retail store to my home had a clearance sale, so I bought my Mac Mini(2.53,4gb,9400m) there at about CAD 460.

PS:I am living in Japan

10. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

not bad, in general Apple stuff is always over-priced in japan, even the same stuff we get here like Canon gear, Nikon, Sony products etc, lol.

Just came back from there last month, Yodobashi is my Fav store.;)

saw the Apple store in Ginza but never bothered to go inside, lol.

11. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

I tried to get one on clearance, but my local Apple stores would not discount the old Mac Mini models.

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

My 2.26 is fantastic for everyday use. It runs 24/7. Faster HDD and more memory just made it more enjoyable. No need for a newer Mini mainly just based on looks. I'll probably wait for the next update. Besides this will probably just be retired as an HTPC if I do get a new Mini/Macbook.