So I just Pulled The Trigger on a NAS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Broken Hearted, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Broken Hearted macrumors newbie

I just ordered The Synology DS411J with 4 Hitachi 2TB 7200RPM Drives.

This will be my first NAS. Right now my Itunes library is sitting at about 2TB. I want to use the NAS obviously for backing up my itunes library which currently is not backed up, and time machine. Ive been reading up on raids and I dont know if I should use the Synology Hybrid Raid, or Raid 5. What is the difference and benefits of these two? How much space will I have out of the 8TB that will be useable?

I wanted the 3TB drives but they are just to costly right now. So later on I will swap them out as my demands increase.

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

Why didn't you get 5400rpm drives? I seriously doubt that you'll see any extra performance.

3. Broken Hearted thread starter macrumors newbie

Currently I have 5400rpm drives in external closures hanging off of my time capsule. There are delays when fast forwarding, and starting movies. My hope was that with the 7200rpm drives the fast forwarding and starting of movies would be faster. The entire network is Gigabit, although it could be the usb connection causing the bottleneck.

4. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

RAID 5 and their proprietary RAID will give you about 5.6TB of useable space.

Figure 1.8TB per 2TB disk. You will lose one for data protection. With 3TB drives you get about 2.7TB of usable space. So you could increase your total storage to 8.1TB.

I have two Arrays I need to bump up to 3TB drives but I'm patiently waiting on the cost to drop.

5. Broken Hearted thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have a Synology? If so are you using Raid 5 or SHR? From what I have gotten through searching Raid 5 is better, although SHR allows different size drives/manufacturers, is this correct?

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

No I have two Drobos and an internal RAID Card on my Mac Pro.

After reading threw the info available on Synology's website it would appear that the SHR is similar to what Data Robotics does with Beyond RAID. You will sacrifice performance for easy of use.

EDIT: If you want to learn a lot about RAID post a question in the Mac Pro Forum. Some posters such as Nanofrog can tell you more about RAID than I ever could.

7. DaveGee macrumors 6502a

Yep... I remember the first 1TB drive I installed in the system of a company VIP and how he was so mad it didn't report 1tb of free space... :eek: :D