So I just sold my iPhone 4 on eBay Instantsale...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LagFighter, Oct 5, 2011.

1. LagFighter macrumors regular

The problem is that it needs to arrive at their door by 10/12/11. If it doesn't, the offer I was given for $357 will be revoked.

Obviously I'm doing this to buy 4S, but I won't get that until next week at the earliest.

How do I get by without a phone for a week? Is there some sort of temp phone I can use for a while? I'm on AT&T's network. As long as I can still make calls, I should be good.

My parents said they have an old Sony Ericsson phone from AT&T (back when it was Cingular). Can I use that? How do I switch my number over?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The old Sony Ericsson phone should work. To use that phone, just take out your SIM card out of the iPhone 4, put it in a mirco-SIM adapter and put it in the Ericsson. The Ericsson should then have you number and work as your phone.

3. USMCWifey07 macrumors member

I did the same thing.

Get the dumb phone from your parents then go to an AT&T store where they'll give you a normal SIM card to stick in the phone that will be linked to your account.

Done. Hassle free :D

4. ripper998 macrumors regular

5. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

No unlimited data to worry about? Get the erikson.

6. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I'm grandfathered-in on the unlimited plan. Is that a problem?

7. rkahl macrumors 65816

So what were your fee's for eBay... like 10%? Then another 3% for paypal? I'm gonna stick local.

8. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I'm actually not sure, but it should be factored into the discussion. If you switch to a regular sim and stick it in another phone... dunno. ATT is amazing at knowing exactly which phone you're using...

9. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

There was no fee for this. I am a regular PayPal user too, so I don't think they're taking a huge cut. If they do, it will be like five bucks or something. No big deal.

10. rkahl macrumors 65816

There must be some mistake. eBay doesn't operate for free. OK... it is free! About time eBay does something good for the seller.

11. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone have any insight as to whether having the unlimited plan will matter?

12. Captain America macrumors 6502

Wow I didn't even know about InstantSale until I read this thread. I like the idea of getting $357, but there's a pretty good chance that I fit more into the "Good" category which would drop me down to $277 which I think is a bit low. Currently posting it on Craigslist hoping for something better, but it's not gonna be easy with everyone and their mother selling their i4's.

Will the offered price on eBay drop in the coming days? Or is it safe to say that those numbers will be there for me as a last resort?

13. james92se macrumors 6502a

Not unless ATT literally just in the past day or so enacted some new protocol. I'm also grandfathered on unlimited and use my iPhone 4 SIM in my old SE T616 routinely with no affect on my data plan.

Also, be prepared to rig some pressure mechanism to hold your microsim into the adapter. I cut up a razor blade with tin snips to do the job.

14. bgro macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I believe if u switch to a non smartphone plan you will lose the ability to go back to an unlimited data plan when you try and activate your 4S.

Think you need to switch to any other smartphone, keep the unlimited plan and then switch to the 4S.

I could be wrong though but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

15. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I did this last time. I sold my previous iPhone and used the SIM card in a Razr phone for about 4 days. There were no changes made to my plan and I still have my unlimited data.

Just make sure if you talk to them in an AT&T store that you DON'T want any changes made to your plan.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah ok, you wish $5.
    More like $35-45

17. james92se macrumors 6502a

You should net ~ $347.. PayPal fees are just under 3%

That's assuming you get the full $357. They'll probably claim your phone isn't as nice as it is and give you the lower amount. Those resellers are bad about that

18. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I'm about to use the eBay Instant Sale. I had never heard of it until I got an email from them today. I was about to delete for the spam that it is until I saw what it was and took a look. I am actually selling my wife's 16GB iPhone 4 since they will give $250 for it and $275 for my 32GB, both in "Good" condition. Then I'll give her my old 4 and I will get a new 4S. She isn't eligible for an upgrade until February anyway.

I just had to dig out my old 3GS and am about to restore it from my backup to use until the 14th.

19. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

There seems to be some misunderstanding here. eBay's Instant Sale is different from traditional eBay auctions. With Instant Sale, you are selling the phone directly to eBay. You are not dealing with bidders and buyers. Instant Sale does not charge any fees for using the service, although their payout is much smaller than some traditional auctions.

Reimbursement is through PayPal and there is a fee, approximately 3%.

20. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I just got $137 for an old iPhone 3G on ebay's instant sale. Money is going towards the 4S :)

PS. RIP Steve.

21. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

If they do, they'll give me an option to have it shipped back to me for free, so I'll probably just do that and list it on my own.

Trust me, I know - I used Gazelle for my 3GS last year and they ripped me off. That said, my iPhone 4 is in flawless condition, and I'm going to be cleaning it further before shipping it. If they find something wrong, it's a scam.

22. JLemm macrumors regular

go buy a $20 "go phone" or check craigslist for old phones? or ask a family member? I used a family members old phone last year when I got the 4.

23. cberry240 macrumors member

Intasale is offering $229 for 32GB 3GS...good selling price? I have all the original paperwork,box,unused headphones charger.