So I just switch off roaming ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by retrospek, Sep 21, 2008.

1. retrospek macrumors 6502

retrospek

Hi Guys,

I'm flying from the UK to Spain in a couple of hours and just want to check that all I need to do is ensure the roaming option is switched off on my iPhone to not get any data charges ?

A quick response would be appreciated :D

Thanks,
    Mark

2. NumBerS912 macrumors member

Thats certainly how I understood it and it does say so underneath the option. Perhaps check with O2 to make certain though just in case;)

3. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

4. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

While away don't use any apps that need to contect to the internet even for a small amount of time to update their memory, like news apps, or weather or cinema times.

Disabling Data Roaming should stop these from working but it better safe than sorry.

If you do need to use any web enabled apps just find a local wifi point and switch on wifi.

have a good holiday!

5. samiwas macrumors 65816

When I was in the UK from the US, all I did was turn off Data Roaming. I did not get charged 1 cent (or even 1 pence) for data while I was there.

6. yessur macrumors newbie

Turning Data Roaming OFF is not enough to avoid ALL charges if traveling overseas. If someone calls you will be charged for the international call even if you don't answer. Note also, if you did inadvertently leave Data Roaming ON and someone left you a visual voice message you will be charged a Data download charge even if you don't retrieve it. To prevent any charges you must set the phone to Airport Mode. If you then want to use WiFi you can turn this on without having to turn Airport Mode on. You can always check for voice messages the old fashioned way by dialing you own tel number and enter your voice mail password. If you have a WiFi connection you can use TruPhone to call the U.S. and pay 3p/min (6¢/min).

7. runners macrumors newbie

Remove the Sim card. Now you have an iTouch and no chance for phone charges..