So, I lost my Recovery HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gen, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Hey,

Installed my SSD - restored from Time Machine backup - and now, my Recovery HD is gone.

What can I do?

(early 2011 MBP that came with Lion)

2. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Hmm, thanks for the info. However, I've never heard of that site before - and I couldn't find any other sites that suggest that same method (or use his script)

Any other options?

3. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Fresh install will work. There are probably other options that more experienced users can suggest.

4. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Boot into recovery, I believe it is holding command and R on boot. Then you can install lion with the online recovery. This method was built into all Macbooks that came with lion.

----------

when i first purchased my SSD i had to go to Disk utility in the recovery menu and do a complete format on the SSD. Until i did that i was not able to install lion on it due to the recovery partition being on the HDD that came with my Macbook

5. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Suit yourself. It works like a charm and saves you from having to do another OS reinstall. I figured since you were asking you were looking for something other than the obvious textbook solution. :rolleyes: Besides, the script isn't important; the commands inside it are. If you're paranoid about running the script, then follow the link in the Musings article to see the commands the script executes. Heck, you can manually enter them yourself if it makes you feel better.

----------

Yeah, exactly like my suggestion that was roundly rejected. :confused:

6. biohead macrumors 6502

Boot into internet recovery and let it install.

Once into the first boot of lion, migrate from Time Capsule backup when it asks.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you have the original drive that came with Lion? If so you can connect that to your computer and use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to create an image of the recovery partition… which you can then use CCC to restore to the new drive.

8. wethackrey, Jul 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

wethackrey macrumors 6502

I have to agree with kfscoll. The script here - http://musings.silvertooth.us/2012/0...ition-in-lion/ - works very well. The only downside is that the recovery partition it installs is the most recent currently available from Apple. That one will not support the most recent hardware from Apple, like the new MacBook Pro Retina Display. If your MacBook Pro is more than a month old though, the script works perfectly.

I might also suggest you use a tool like Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) for backup and for swapping out your boot disk. It's donationware and is the one Mac disk utility you shouldn't be without. The current version will clone your boot volume AND your recovery partition. Very slick.

Edit –*I see aplhaod also suggested CCC. I couldn't agree more. It has saved my bacon a bunch of times and Mike Bombich, the guy behind it, won't leave well enough alone. He just keeps making it better.

9. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

That's exactly what I did before.
    I even formatted the SSD correctly. Why would doing the same thing add the Recovery HD all of a sudden? :confused:

I have a lot of drives. And use CCC and Time Machine.
    But, wouldn't using CCC just copy the current image without that Recovery HD?

I meant no offense. I'm just not keen on using scripts that I don't know what they do, and that are only posted on that one site. :eek:

Thanks, I do use CCC. But, with my current image there doesn't seem to be a Recovery HD - like suggested above, wouldn't I need to do a fresh install, use Time Machine, and then make a CCC image?

Thanks for all the input everyone - seems like I'll be doing a fresh install.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

By "fresh install" I assume you plan to erase the drive and reinstall Lion then your data. You don't need to do this. Just do a command-r to boot to the recovery firmware and reinstall Lion. It will install over your data without erasing it and in the reinstall process it will create the recovery partition on the drive.

11. Gen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gen

Hmm. So for that, I will need to use my Time Machine backup afterwards?

Thanks,

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No... that is what I was trying to save from having to repeat. If you already did a Time Machine restore and all your data is there and everything is working fine except you have no recovery partition, just leave it alone and install Lion on top of the existing install without erasing/deleting/restoring anything. The Lion installer will just reinstall while leaving your data in place and in the process create a recovery partition.

13. wethackrey macrumors 6502

Honestly, the script will do exactly what you want in about five minutes. I wouldn't do a reinstall at this point. I used it myself yesterday. It worked perfectly, except for the fact that the recovery partition available from Apple for the script to install doesn't support a MBPr.

14. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Did you try to run the script on a rMBP? If so, where did you get the correct recovery partition that the script uses?

15. wethackrey macrumors 6502

Hmmmm.... thought I was clear about this. Perhaps not.

Yes. I did run the script on the MBPr. Yes it did reallocate the size of the boot partition and built the recovery partition as expected. But the version of the downloadable recovery partition currently available from Apple is not one that the MBPr can boot from. To test it I WAS able to boot my 17" MBP from that recovery partition if I set the MBPr to target disk mode. So the script works great for everything except the MBPr (and perhaps other Macs released on June 11.)

16. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

Oops, missed your first post. Got it now. I guess we need to wait to post a newer version of the downloadable recovery partition for this process to work on the rMBP.

17. wethackrey macrumors 6502

Exactly.

18. biohead macrumors 6502

I've just completely wiped my SSD (I was having an issue so figured its a good chance to test), then performed an Internet recovery, followed by a restore of my files from my time capsule. I erased the drive, and set it up for one partition during the Internet recovery boot, let it download and install, then used the migration assistant for my files.

This DOES create a recovery partition on the SSD, at least on my 13" 2012. I presume it would be the same on all Internet recovery capable models.