So I messed up pretty good.....

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davidwarren, May 12, 2008.

1. davidwarren macrumors 6502a

I bought a new SeaGate freeagent Pro external HD, firewire 400 and 500GB for like $150, a pretty good deal I thought. Got home, hooked it up, and instead of just reformatting it with disk utility like I planned, I used the build-in program that came with the disk.

Well, I bought it to have a larger HD for my atv movies that I serve off my iMac, and take the old HD to work for my time machine backup. The software said that it would completely erase and reformat the freeagent drive, and I of course said ok. Well, the HD my movies are on is also called freeagent, the same as the new drive was, so the program formatted both drives!!!

I was so pissed when I realized what I had did, but I bought and downloaded Data Rescue II, based off a search of this forum. It is running now, and has two more hours to finish, so I hope that it recovers my movies.....

Just a warning to anyone who is in this same position, just use disk utility!!!!

I will update when the recovery program is done...

2. mr.light macrumors 6502

Yup. Messed up good. :eek:
    Hope you get your movies back

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Ouch!

Definitely, though...ALWAYS ignore the software that comes bundled with hard drives. They are never needed.

4. davidwarren thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok...

So it seems as if the data rescue will work, but all my .mp4's are being recovered as .mov's, so I have to change the extension of all of them, but they are coming through. VERY SLOWLY!! about four hours for the scan and an additional four hours for the recovery. I have about 150 GB on an external USB drive, but it is still sooooo slow! I am just happy that it is working, loosing that many movies would really be a downer. :(

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Get a free program like Renamer4Mac. Should be able to change those extensions for you pretty quickly.

6. davidwarren thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, that worked great.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

did you end up getting them all back?? if you just reformatted without doing a zero-install (which the application wouldnt have) then you would be able to get 99% of them all back.

so i hope your sweet :)

8. davidwarren thread starter macrumors 6502a

it seems that all the movies are back, but some of them are corrupted, not that many though. I would much rather just have to re-rip 10 movies rather than 200.