So, I need a laptop for 4-6 weeks...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Demon Hunter, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Which laptop has the best resale value? I only need this computer for a couple of weeks, after which I will probably sell it on eBay.

$1999 MacBook Pro - or - $1099 White MacBook?

My thinking is that the latest MacBook update was quite lame, compared to the new SR MBPs which have LED screens, a fancy GPU, etc.

I want to lose as little as possible.

Any advice?

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I would buy a used one and then resell for about the same price- then you don't have the immediate "depreciation".

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I second this idea. You probably wouldn't mind owning a used computer anyway because it will only be for a few weeks as you said.

4. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Good idea. I was hoping to pick one up from The Apple Store. Maybe they have a refresh model...

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You could pick one up from a store with a 30 day return policy like CompUSA. Return it at 29 Days and pickup another one then return that. Then you lose no money.

Though that would be dishonest. Otherwise do as others said and buy used.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would go with a used powerbook off of craigslist, and when you don't need it any more ebay it, and you most likely won't lose anything. of course if you need more power than the powerbook has then go with a refurb macbook.

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You can order a refurbished one from Apple.com.

8. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I'm in the exact same situation right now. I'm going with the white Macbook with the superdrive. I figure after the 6 weeks I'll either sell it on ebay, make back most of my money, and go back to my Powermac G5, or stick with it and sell my Powermac G5 instead. Never owned a laptop so should be fun.

9. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Virtually all stores have a restocking fee of 10% or 15%, like Apple, so it would still cost $100 to $200.

10. Jenkl macrumors newbie

But I'd imagine the depreciation of the laptop, plus the hassle of trying to resell, would be worth the 200-400 bucks (for two buys and returns) of the laptop.

11. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

Just go out and buy a $500-600 windows laptop if all you need it for is a few weeks, unless you are doing something that requires a Mac. I think of a Mac as more of a major long lasting purchase. Cheap Windows laptops are pretty much disposable.

I bought a PC laptop with pretty decent specs brand new on ebay for $550. It's not an Apple, but it works well for the little I use a laptop. When I am at home it pretty much stays in the case while I use the iMac.

Vista isn't bad at all. It has kind of been fun to be able to play with since it's something different. I like MacOSX better, but Vista isn't bad at all.

12. AdamL macrumors member

I agree. In my mind, there's no reason to use all that money for a Mac, instead of buying a cheap windows laptop. My friend just bought one for $399.99.

13. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yes I agree try to get a refreshed model, because they will fetch a higher price when you decide to resell it (as it will still be the newest model)

14. epiphany macrumors regular

I think part of the problem is we don't know what he's going to use the lappy for (how much capability does it need?), and how soon does he need it.

I'm with MrKramer on the Craigslist idea. I just bought a 2.8Ghz P4 Dell laptop for $275 on Craigslist - so bargains are to be had with negotiation. I didn't want to invest a lot, or get stuck with the depreciation, since what I really want is a new iMac. (Gotta get past the iPhone hoopla first, apparently.)

You can get a 1Ghz G4 iBook on eBay for $260 from PowerOn.com.

Like I said, it would help if we understood the bounding considerations. But I still wouldn't buy new for a short-term affair.