So i Need A New Camara

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by IllEatyourFace, Jan 11, 2009.

1. IllEatyourFace macrumors newbie

IllEatyourFace

Ok so i have decided i want to get a digital SLR camera and i have
    narrowed it down to three cameras i either want a Nikon D40, Nikon D50,
    or a Nikon D70 and i need some help. Which would be the best Ive never
    owned a Digital SLR camera before but i was hoping you people could help me
    decide on which one would be best for me and my new obsession.
    [/FONT]

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

are you set on Nikon? check www.fredmiranda.com and search the buy and sell forums. Many great deals to be had.

Are you looking for a camera to grow into, or one to learn a bit and then move on to something more advanced? What about buying used? If you are set on a Nikon, you could pick up a Nikon D200 for about $600-$700. Pretty good deal for a great camera, plus you can learn a ton with it and wont outgrow it any time soon.

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

I personally would, of those, go for the D40 - new, bigger screen, light and portable, best image quality of the three.

Of course, there is no internal AF motor in this camera so check that your potential lenses are AF-S.

4. IllEatyourFace thread starter macrumors newbie

IllEatyourFace

I was kind of set on nikon
    but i can change i mean
    i really like the nikon
    but idk

5. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I'd go with the D40. Just be aware that certain older lenses won't autofocus with it, but any newer lens (AF-S) should be fine. The lens that comes in the kit will autofocus, and a lot of kits also come with the 55-200mm lens which will autofocus as well.

See here for more info:

http://d40xd60.wikidot.com/lens-compatibility
    or here:
    http://d40xd60.wikidot.com/list-of-lenses-that-will-af

I have a d40, eventually I will buy a D90 if I get into photography enough, but for a starter camera the D40 is great and cheap.

6. sdphil macrumors newbie

I too just bought I DSLR. I set out to buy a Nikon cause thats what I used back in the 35mm days. I went to a store to look at them and then I picked up a Canon. I was impressed by how much easier the menus and buttons were compared to the Nikon. I would go look too if I were you. After I played with the Canon EOS XSI I could not justify buying the Nikon.

7. flinch13 macrumors regular

I am a Canon nut, so I'm biased I suppose, but I must suggest that you not overlook the brand. They make good products, and the 40D is now one of the best AND most economical models available (~600 for a lightly used model, rather a good deal considering they used to cost $1200 around three months ago).

Explore ally options I'd say. Go to a camera store, pick up the cameras, try them out, and ask yourself what you will be able to use, enjoy, and afford. You'll make the right choice.