So I need to pay to get started?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by exe163, Jun 15, 2011.

1. exe163 macrumors regular

Hello everyone, I am a college student with little java programming skills under my belt. I was thinking about using this summer to write a program with a friend for fun and maybe pick up some C on the way. I noticed in order to do anything, one has to pay 100 bucks just to get started. I can understand for professional programmers the entrance fee is relatively small compares to the revenue generated from the apps and advertisements during the year. But for students like us, it is a major investment probably too great for just one summer. Is there a way to get around it? We have no economic incentive in mind, just for fun.

Thanks in advance!

2. xStep macrumors 68000

The only $99 required is the iOS dev account to place your creations onto a device (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad). I believe there are ways around this if you jailbreak your device.

With every OS X release to date, the install disc includes the Xcode developer tools. Load up and get started. You can use to iPhone & iPad simulator to code for and do basic testing for the iOS devices. For Mac OS X, you do not require any payment to make fully distributable apps, unless you want to use the Apple Mac App Store.

3. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You can register as an Apple Developer (for free) and get access to Xcode 3 & the iOS SDK (which allows you to run your apps on the Simulator). It's not until you want to deploy your app to a device, that you need to pay.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Note also that there are some other programs for students that are associated with your school and allow your to get certificates for loading apps on your devices. These are mentioned in the Stanford iOS course on iTunes U.

EDIT: here: http://developer.apple.com/programs/ios/university/

B

5. miografico macrumors member

If you can scrounge up the 100 bucks or get it from your parents - whatever - you should just go ahead and do so. You have an extraordinary amount of documentation and videos available to you if you do so. It's more than worth the $100 just to have access to all of that plus the forums.

It may seem like a lot in your position, but it's really not. It's a couple of weekends without beer money.