So I ordered new iPad Wifi but

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by edtorious, Mar 8, 2012.

1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

So I ordered the new iPad Wifi version, but what are my options now if I do want to get internet connection but there is no wifi connection around? I'm sorry but I'm new to iPad and don't know much about it yet. Is there an app or accessories I can buy or do I have to jailbreak? Please advise. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

And before you ask why I did not get the 4G, it's because I won't be needing it very often in my case. The only time I can probably think of taking the iPad outside of my house is probably when I'm on vacation and that doesn't happen very often either and so the iPad will probably spend most of it's time at home where there is always wifi connection. So hopefully this thread doesn't become about trying to convince me to get 4G. I know all the benefits, it's just not for me. Thank you.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No, the wifi only version is just that. No app is going to get it to work on 3G or 4G.

3. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

But depending on your phone plan and provider, you might be able to tether your iPad to your phone when you're out of WiFi range.

C

4. aristobrat macrumors G5

OP, I think CNeufeld's suggestion is probably your only alternative.

The WiFi-only iPad doesn't contain the chips/antenna required to access mobile data networks, and no app or jailbreak is going to change that fact.

I don't know of any iPad-specific accessory that lets a WiF-only iPad access cellular data networks, but if one existed, I'd be surprised if it wasn't subject to the same stuff the non-iPad specific accessories that do this ("mobile hotspots", "mifis", etc) are -- activation fees, 2-year contracts where you can't turn off the service when you're not using it, etc.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Yup, tethering is your only option.

You can also do this with a laptop if, say, you're in a hotel with Ethernet but no wireless. (Do those still exist? I was in one a year ago at least.)

6. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45