So I overheated my iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joecg, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. joecg macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    #1
    On Saturday, I was having lunch outside and had my phone sitting on the table, and it overheated. I got a screen saying my phones temperature was too hot and only emergency calls were allowed. I know it might have been dumb of me, but didn't think it sitting on a table in 80 degrees during lunch would be that big of an issue, haha. After I put it in my pocket, it cooled down and works fine. All is well.

    My question is, this overheating doesn't trip any sensors in the phone that might void the warranty, right? Like I said, everything works fine and no damage was done, but I'm concerned my warranty may have gotten voided or something by going into "temperature control mode."

    Thanks!
     
  2. bubbagumpshrimp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2008
    #2
    This is the first iPhone I've had that I recall ever getting hot....perhaps we have another issue on our hands?
     
  3. mplsdude macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    #3
    Happened to my friend this weekend as well, he got an exclamation point on the screen that warned him of the high temp.
     
  4. PNutts macrumors 601

    PNutts

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2008
    Location:
    Pacific Northwest, US
    #4
    I doubt it. I assume just hot phones in the sun.
     
  5. joecg thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    #5
    Yeah, same screen I got with like chinese characters on it.
     
  6. draz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #6
    There have been a few temperature related posts here. It is just a warning message and the phone protects itself by shutting some features off to do its part in lowering the temperature.

    That won't void your warranty as you did the right thing and kept it cool, unless you ignored the message and the phone started to have more problems as a result of that....
     
  7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

    wingnut8

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    #7
    My friend said he woke up and that he had the exclamation point.
     
  8. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #8
    you cant ignore the warning
     
  9. omizzle macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2009
  10. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #10
    I've gotten this message on all my iphones before. Usually when I accidently leave in the car for a few hours.
     
  11. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2009
    Location:
    SI, NY
    #11
    i laid on my chase lounge today in 94 degree wether. i had my headphones in and was listening to some tunes, i put my white t-shirt over it (it was directly in the sun) and in a half hour it wasn't really that hot at all.
     
  12. danpass macrumors 68020

    danpass

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2009
    Location:
    Miami, FL
    #12
    probably won't happen with the white iPhone 4 ;)
     
  13. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    #13
    Really? The phone comes with a feature that will prevent you from leaving it in the sun? Wow. That's some amazing technology!
     
  14. f00f macrumors 65816

    f00f

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Location:
    New Yawk
    #14
    Glass is a pretty good thermal insulator. This phone has a large heat-genrating battery and some power-hungry, heat-generating components sandwiched between two glass plates. Not the smartest design ever.
     
  15. Kaopr1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    #15
    It happened to me today too...
    I was at the barber shop waiting for my turn. Surfing the net on 3g (which I normally turn off). All of a sudden it got really warm. I turned it off right away and put it away in my pocket (where it remained noticably warm for several more minutes). I haven't had any other issues such as attenuation, discoloration or proximity sensor issues but did recall maybe reading something in these forums earlier in the week about overheating.
     
  16. jlake02 macrumors 68020

    jlake02

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    Location:
    L.A.
    #16
    I take my 3G into the sauna at the gym (usually 190-200 degrees) and haven't had that happen. A couple times when it was 210 in there I was a bit worried about the phone but it kept playing music like a champ.
     
  17. joecg thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    #17
    Yikes that doesn't seem smart. The humidity can't be good for it either..
     
  18. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #18
    you can't use the phone after it gets too hot and at that point it shuts down pretty much completely so it would be hard to damage it severly unless it was like 200 out
     
  19. JayDude132 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    #19
    NO WE DONT! My 3G used to do that if it was in my car too long
     
  20. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #20
    this
     
  21. Hellishness macrumors 65816

    Hellishness

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2010
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #21
    190-210!!! I'm amazed the iPhone survived that...
     
  22. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2010
    #22
    Taking any piece of electronic equipment into a Sauna is not smart. Blackberry puts a detector under the battery that goes red if exposed to moisture and it voids the warranty.
     
  23. Surely Guest

    Surely

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2007
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #23
    That happens to me every morning.


    Oh, you're talking about the iPhone....nm
     
  24. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

    Goldfrapp

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2005
    #24
    Your phone will still work, but you did shorten your battery life by about 10%. Although some chips might have melted a bit, they will continue to work. Also, instead of getting, say, 6-8 hours out of the battery, you will be getting about 5-6.

    Other than that, your phone is undamaged.
     
  25. jlake02 macrumors 68020

    jlake02

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    Location:
    L.A.
    #25
    Yes, I agree. I think I'm using the wrong term for the room because there is zero humidity, it's just a heat room to sweat. Brain dead tonight and can't think of the correct name for the room.
     

Share This Page