Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I'm looking at a GeForce 4Ti 4600, do you know off the top of your head if that would be compatible?

It should do. The Titaniums were first offered as an BTO card for the QS back in the day My first QS came with either a 4200 or a 4600 in it. Unfortunately, that card was on its way out and even after reflowing still displayed screen artifacts. The 4200 was a cut down version of the 4600 the power draw would be my main concern.

Yeah, you're going to find that as cool as the QS looks and runs, it's a finicky G4. The DAs (Digital Audios), Sawteeth and PCIs and GEs (Gigabit Ethernet) will take just about anything you throw at them, while the MDDs are more like G5s than anything else. But the QS is it's own entity.

Sadly not. As the owner of a DA, it can be every bit as uncooperative as a QS. My understanding is that some DAs (maybe the earlier production models?) are more accommodating towards add on cards. For example, my DA just refuses to boot with a SiI 3112 flashed with the SeriTek firmware at all. I tried flashing a SiI3512 card with the Wiebetech firmware in it and it conks out with a bus error although it will recognise the card with the PC firmware on it. It will boot with a pre-flashed SiI3512 card, so in that respect it is slightly better behaved than a QS. I would group the B&W and the Yikes in one pile, the Sawtooth and the GigEthernet in a second, the DA and QS in a third and the MDDs in a fourth in terms of behaviour and compatibility.

Reactions: eyoungren

Totalbearface

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
United Kingdom
This seems like a simple wear and tear issue. Something is obviously loose within the ADC connection and/or cable.

Nice pickup on the Quicksilver! I would imagine you would get near dual 1.42GHz MDD performance.

Funny you should say that, saw a cheap MDD dual 1.42GHz non-working locally today so bought it and made it work. Will see how both machines compare when I have the time.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Funny you should say that, saw a cheap MDD dual 1.42GHz non-working locally today so bought it and made it work. Will see how both machines compare when I have the time.

Interesting. I'm guessing the dual MDD will be a bit faster. 33MHz faster bus, and the G4 7455 in the MDD's is a faster chip in virtually every way compared to the 7447's in the Sonnet upgrade.

Plus with system taxing tasks the L3 in the MDD will really pay off.

Reactions: z970

Totalbearface

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2019
United Kingdom
Interesting. I'm guessing the dual MDD will be a bit faster. 33MHz faster bus, and the G4 7455 in the MDD's is a faster chip in virtually every way compared to the 7447's in the Sonnet upgrade.

Plus with system taxing tasks the L3 in the MDD will really pay off.

The L3 cache will definitely be a bonus. I did find something odd though (well, it's odd to me as I don't know why this would happen); As the MDD dual 1.42 I bought seemed initially dead, I swapped the CPU into my single 1GHz MDD (both of these machines have an FW800 port btw) and when it booted into Tiger it only came up as a dual 1.13GHz. Got the original 1.42 machine working and on that it came up as expected; a dual 1.42.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
The L3 cache will definitely be a bonus. I did find something odd though (well, it's odd to me as I don't know why this would happen); As the MDD dual 1.42 I bought seemed initially dead, I swapped the CPU into my single 1GHz MDD (both of these machines have an FW800 port btw) and when it booted into Tiger it only came up as a dual 1.13GHz. Got the original 1.42 machine working and on that it came up as expected; a dual 1.42.

That makes perfect sense, because the dual 1GHz has a 133MHz bus compared to 167MHz in the dual 1.25 and 1.42.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
very nice find on the QS :)

espically with that sonnet 7447A CPU upgrade card! (one of these days ill get a 7447-7448 CPU card myself to play with)

its CPUs where made 9th week of 2006

if your looking to maintain OS 9 compatibility then a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 is the best upgrade you can get, and it will work fine

however if OS 9 compatibility is not of concern, then there are faster GPU options :)

Right... single. This means the multiplier is on the logic board, not the daughter card. It would be 7.5x on the 133MHz boards, and 8.5x on the 167MHz.

the multiplier resistors are on the CPU card

however 133Mhz MDD CPU cards have a resistor on their that forces the logic board to 133Mhz instead of 167Mhz

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I guess I just assumed it was on the logic board based on the 7.5x multiplier. And I remember seeing an MDD overclocking guide once that required soldering on the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.