So, I purchased a Macbook used.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by east85, Feb 9, 2012.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I tried uninstalling a program and a command prompt or whatever was generated and asked me to enter the password for "lucy" (the apparent name of my computer). Needless to say I haven't been able to uninstall the program since it needs the terminal or whatever.

While installing though I am prompted to enter an admin password, I just hit okay and it's blank, it takes the lack of password fine. Why is it different in terminal? What is lucy/how can I change that name and password? Shouldn't it be blank if it's blank outside of terminal? I'm brand new to the Apple platform all together so I'm just curious about this, some options also seem to be restricted for me. I tried to change the name but it didn't work.

[​IMG]

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Was the computer fully restored to factory settings? It seems like a fresh install is what you should do.

3. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Its probably best to just reinstall the OS over the hard drive using your disk or USB. You will probably run into some nasty surprises on the computer if you don't and it will give you a clean slate.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The Terminal typically won't accept a null (blank) password. You'll need to set a password that isn't blank in order to use most functions in the Terminal.

It looks like you're on an Active Directory managed network, though, so check with your admin. If this is your home computer and that's not the case, then I agree that you should have already done a clean install when you first got the computer.

jW

5. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks. The computer did not come with discs and was purchased from Ebay from an individual with a 100% approval rating or whatever. It was described as a "Fresh install". I am contacting the seller to see if perhaps they have the password. If not I'll look into getting a copy of Lion for myself (via app store). Is the process relatively simple?

I would like to back up some of the files I have already, so I might have some work ahead of me for someone who is unfamiliar with Macs.

----------

It was described as so at the point of sale, but would what I've said indicate otherwise? I just contacted the seller.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Get an external drive and back up via time machine. Then you can migrate things in one at a time if need be. However, it sounds to me as though the sale was sketchy. You should have restore discs, a USB or something. It doesn't sound like a fresh install if the name was "lucy". Also, consider the fact that if you did not get some welcome screen upon first boot asking you for personal details to register your mac, the install was not "fresh". They may have done a fresh install but then they set the mac up themselves, I wouldn't call that totally fresh.

7. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

I'll look into it. Everything else seems to check out as far as the specs and description goes. I just find it odd that someone with a name on ebay that indicates that they sell macs specifically, who's entire sale list is full of macs, would not be inclined to at least provide a fresh install. I suppose it is possible though. I'll just give them 24 hours to respond, if nothing turns up I guess I'll go with the reinstall and start looking for a backup drive to use time machine with.

8. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Just wondering, if I do get an install disc on order is it possible to reset the password with that disc?

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, but a clean install is still highly recommend, as you have no way of knowing what software, even malicious software, may have been installed by the seller (or the previous owner, if the machine wasn't wiped, which appears to be the case).

Incidentally, since I didn't see it mentioned yet, you can call Apple and order a replacement set of disks for that machine for a nominal fee (usually around $10). I would recommend it even if you then upgrade to Lion, simply because it's a good idea to have those available for troubleshooting purposes.

jW

10. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks, I will give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get ahold of some of the old install discs, at that kind of price there's really no need not to. I appreciate the tip.

I have one final question concerning a fresh install of Lion. I am also on a 13" aluminum Macbook. Will the bootrom remain intact after a fresh install, allowing me to continue to utilize all 8GB of RAM in my machine?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-2.4-aluminum-13-late-2008-unibody-specs.html

From the page:

11. dknightd macrumors 6502

If it was a fresh install it would not have accounts, or machine names.
    If it did not come with install disks I'd be suspect.
    If you bought it real cheap I'd be suspect.
    The seller has a good rating, but have they sold much? Was much of it
    apple?
    Definitely work with the seller - if they are good they will help you.
    Installing a new OS should not effect the boot roms.

I don't know how apple deals with these things - on the one hand it
    would be nice if they could send you new install disks cheaply (in case of loss)
    on the other hand I'd really not like them to facilitate the reuse of
    potentially stolen computers.

It sucks you can't trust anybody these days - but it seems to be the way to have to live -AArg

12. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

They had actually made close to 500 sales, most of which were laptops and computers. I would certainly hope it wasn't a stolen machine but I suppose it is possible as is the case with most after-market electronics. You just never know, unless you're buying from a person you know. Regardless though I am going to do a fresh install of Lion and clean this up ASAP. I really don't even feel secure working on this computer now that I have become aware that it is not fresh. I haven't got a response yet from the seller, and the worst part is I've already left feedback.

13. dknightd macrumors 6502

You should post the seller name, and how it works out. In case it helps the next buyer.

14. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

yeah, like all of the systems we've bought with lion pre-installed, with no recovery disks.

Oh right, you can spend all night downloading from a recovery partition. And that's much easier than a $0.50 DVD.

Either way, hope it works out for you.

A copy of Snow Leopard or Lion are dirt cheap... fresh installs will give you confidence in the setup and get you adjusted to the Mac world from the ground up.

Just back up =)

15. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, that was applied to the firmware in the machine already, and will not be reset.

jW

16. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

Listen to everybody else.....do a fresh install. It will save you a huge pain in the arss!!!

17. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Thanks everyone. I'm doing a fresh install now. About how long should I be sitting on the finishing up screen?

18. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks again everyone, everything is up and running smoothy now. I appreciate all the help.

19. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23