So I purchased a new rmbp but it has a small chip...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ducatiti, Jul 21, 2012.

1. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Purchased the base model today. No dead pixels or ghosting but there is a small chip on the hdmi port.

If you were in the same situation as me, would you return it for a replacement?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If I was you, I might, but if I was me, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. yang88she macrumors regular

Absolutely! You spent over $2200, I would exchange it in a heart beat

4. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

No, as in the coming years the computer will probably get many more nicks, dents, scratches etc... Trust me, unless your real pedantic about your MacBook Pro there is more of that to come ;)

6. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all. I think I will return it tomorrow. It just doesn't feel right for a brand new $2000 system to have a nick of some kind. I know that I will eventually scratch/dent it in the future but I just want a peace of mind :)

7. freeskier989 macrumors member

Gawd so sick of hearing these posts... "Oh i got an insignificant blemish to my computer, that doesn't hurt operations whatsoever and is almost non-existant"....

News flash, perfection is a myth, you will always be chasing. Nothing is perfect nor does anything no matter how hard you try, stay perfect. Get over your OCD and move on to more important things...

And before all you haters scream "oh, but he paid xxx for it, he deserves to get a perfect computer..." save it. Think about not putting more eco waste into circulation, rather try not making such a carbon footprint for once, and think a little about something bigger than yourself.

8. maretus macrumors newbie

I would return it and actually did return one for a similar reason. That said, good luck with subsequent units. 4 rMBPs and every single one had some kind of cosmetic damage, some worse than others.

I got mine from best buy and unfortunately I ended up having to return and buy elsewhere as they would only allow so many exchanges before expecting you to keep a damaged product. And then there's the issue of stock. Just beware, every rMBPs I've seen has had some kind of issue. Scratches, dents, glue on screen, uneven bottom panel which causes real loud creaking.

9. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mind if you describe the cosmetic damages you encountered?

10. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Literally laughed out loud! Does it help that I was eating chips when I seen this? :D

----------

If you decide to return it, thats fine. Me personally.. I wouldn't for something so small. To much of a hassle, driving, returning it, setting another up. If you can find it in stock.

11. Ifti macrumors 68000

I would return it. After 2 years my previous MacBook was nick free, completely perfect. Having a blemish on a brand new system would bug me.

If it was a windows laptop, I wouldn't bother though! Lol

12. playsontheleft macrumors regular

Does it bother you? If yes, it'll always bother you, and it's worth returning it. If not then don't bother. I don't think people here can really give you a definitive answer.

13. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Two of the most common problems I encountered in the rMBP is backlight bleeding and cosmetic damages. Each of the 5 units I exchanged had some or extremely minimal cosmetic blemishes (a speck of sand chipped or aluminium discoloring in certain angles). Also, backlight bleeding was present in all of the machines I replaced, even when the current one I own has a very very small edge backlight bleed that is almost imperceptible, yet still noticeable if your paranoid like myself. So be wary of replacing that computer for another since more issues may arise in the new unit.

14. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Nope.

You'll eventually ding/scratch/bump the thing anyway. So why bother. Consider the chip a gift. You've been blessed with carefreeness from day 1.

15. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

I'd usually suggest that you replace a machine as expensive as the rMBP if there were ANY niggling little defects. However, I know the kind of chip you mean and that is not the worst of things to have go wrong. Think of all the hell other people are going through with their screens (dead pixels, bleeding, discolouration, etc). To me, barring a dent or scratches in the machine, there are far more things to worry about. I think your rMBP is fine (unless you show pictures showing otherwise), and I would play it safe and keep a working model. It won't affect resale value greatly (if at all).

16. iforbes macrumors 6502

If you bought a new car that had a dent on delivery would you just say to yourself that it doesn't matter because it will eventually get another dent? No way!!!

Return it...

17. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your advises. I did return the system but the replacement had a dent on the bottom case which was worse than the nick. Might as well return it and upgrade it for the 16 GB ram system.

So I returned it for a refund for now and will wait until all the issues have been addressed to and when ML is already pre-installed.

They even accepted the unused gift card to be returned and forgot to offset it to the refund receipt. So I will be receiving a $100 dollars back ;) hehe.

I paid cash so they will be mailing me a check. From your past experiences, how long does it take for them to send you your refund check?

18. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

Long story short, I ended up getting a magnitude of defective units with a lot of screen issues (ghosting, backlight bleeding, dead pixels, unevenness) and a few had scratches throughout the top case and some scuffs on the palm rest.

I ended up going through 10 devices before I finally got an almost perfect device (perfect screen). I am as OCD as you are and firmly believe that a $2000 machine shouldn't have this many issues. However, you've got to understand that you will always find something tiny wrong with it. Learn to live with minuscule variations. Otherwise, you may end up getting a unit with more problems.

My current MBP has a tiny scratch below the trackpad and between the speaker grille and caps lock. Although, I'm very upset, I'm refusing to go back simply because I've already gone through so many devices and the chances of getting a Samsung display with no dead pixels, backlight bleeding, and perfect case is slim to none.

If I could trade those two scratches from top to bottom or sides, I'd gladly do so!

19. ducatiti thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your update. Like I have mentioned before, if you know you have a scratch or dent, that would be the first thing that you always notice when you pick it up.

As for me, my third machine is a BTO and got lucky receiving a Samsung display with no other defects.

So you're keeping the machine you have onhand?

20. Robin Chung macrumors member

Robin Chung

Mine has minor chips around the screen bezel, but im keeping it because it has a Samsung panel. Screen quality and keyboard over minor cosmetic issues IMO.

21. reRESERVEDMD macrumors member

More than likely, yes. The scratch below trackpad is hair thick and about a cm in length. The one between the grille and caps lock is a little thicker but also a lot shorter (2mm). Those are the only things wrong with the device and they're small. I've had 10... I really do not want to go thru this hell again. Unless I can't get over it within the next 14 days, I will give it a chance.