So I registered a domain... how do I get a site up?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by spaceballl, Apr 20, 2007.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi all, sorry... I'm brand new to this. I registered a site with godaddy.com. Now I need to build the site and get a host. I'd like to build the site with iWeb. Any recommendations on how to get hosting? What's a good host? How do I link the host up with my newly purchased domain?? Thanks!

2. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

well for hosting, depending on your needs i like start logic. it's like $84 a year with a lot of bandwidth.

check them here.

also when you want to "link" them up, all you have to do is put in there DNS (domain name server) that your host provides into your godaddy account. this will point to them to your host. Startlogic has good technical support that can guide you through it all. it is really simple.

3. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

Burton hosting is another one I've had and liked. Although I didn't necessarily like their process for customer service, you have to open a ticket. But I think they offer phone numbers to talk to someone if you need. I had no problems with them, even when I didn't pay for a while :)

4. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

You could get hosting with godaddy

Would probably make life simpler having it all from the one provider.

Also they charge per month rather than for a whole year, so you can always change supplier if you feel the need.

5. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

ebound host is only like $50 a year for hosting

6. yagran macrumors 6502a

personally i would go for http://surreal-media.com as they are great! 100% uptime garunteed. and its like $2.95 a month for what i think youll need.

to set up your domain with surreal if you choose to go with them, go to your godaddy account and change the primary and secondary nameservers respectively to:

ns1.surreal-media.com
    ns2.surreal-media.com

p.s. i dont work for surreal-media im just a happy customer.

7. ambient macrumors member

i rekon hostgator.com is the way to go... the online help chat can often come in real handy too..

8. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

If you registerd a domain with godaddy, why not just use godaddy as the host?

9. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I guess you really should decide what aspect is most important. cost, bandwidth, email accounts, uptime, ease of use, etc.

What aspect is most important? That will help us help you make a better decision.

10. Winterfell macrumors regular

I've been with Dreamhost for a long time, and I highly recommend them. Very down-to-earth and very customer-oriented. They have good prices and good reliability.