So I rode a motorcycle for the first time..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ayeying, Sep 13, 2008.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I started taking the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) class. Today was day 2, the first day in riding. I kinda screwed up many times, especially the turning.. oh man, I was so scared on the turning because I have to lean to turn, I feel like I'm going to fall off. Not to mention I have never rode a bicycle since I was 8.. and that was like 11 years ago.

We played around with the 250cc Kawasaki bikes, looked like dual purpose bikes. I'm still so jerky on the throttle and the clutch. I can easily release the clutch and launch the bike without any problems. Shifting's good too. Afterwards, I can turn much easier by turning my damned head.. :rolleyes:

For some reason, I easily swerved and cornered also braking. But the instructors kept yelling at me because I didn't downshift during the braking, I dunno why, I just kept forgetting that part. I brake and pull in the clutch but I don't downshift.

Anyways, I'm still kinda shaking and jerky to get back on a bike. Just a little rant to get my mind cleared up

2. biker74 macrumors member

biker74

Go for it, get right back on

Its a nightmare at the beginning, really, I hated it.

But it does all come together, stick with it and remember to look where your going and the bike will turn.

The jerkyness is just a practice thing, getting the biting point etc. Wait until you get on a 500cc, thats when the fun really begins.

Are you just doing enough to get on a small cc or are you able to do a direct course that takes you up to a 500cc?

3. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

Naw. Our course provides 250cc bikes as beginner bikes. I was the only one at the entire class who had entirely no biking experience whatsoever so I pretty much did really bad. Another guy left after 2 exercises, i dunno why.

I have trouble actually keeping the throttle stable, i keep letting go or givign it too much then I start panicing, just keeping it at a stable throttle was hard for me.

How are the 500cc+ bikes, what kind of differences besides a bigger engine, more power, faster acceleration and such. I felt like it took forever when our instructors said get it up to 15 mph, it took me about at least 400 feet to reach that speed and at that time, I reached the end of the track

4. Adamo macrumors 6502

250cc and it took 400 feet?! Wow, it takes me a second or two, and that's on a 125cc. Easiest way is to build up your throttle gently before letting the clutch slip at all, then you need to kind of even it out as you let the clutch go and pull the throttle a bit more. It takes time, but you'll get it.

Downshifting is simple to remember. When braking, pull the clutch, brake and downshift as your clutch is pulled in, as you need to be as low as possible to come out of the turn or whatever it is you're navigating. You can always upshift again if you've gone down too far - I make a habit when coming up to turns or roundabouts, of downshifting all the way and just upshifting again (so then I know what gear I'm in) to the relevant gear for the speed.

And we in the UK only need five or six hours of training and they let us ride on the roads!

5. jv17 macrumors member

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hey, at least you were able to do it in a controlled environment. My first motorbike ride was in India.....

7. roisin and mac macrumors 6502

Oh man, I'm so jealous! (even tho' it doesn't sound like you've been having much fun so far :p) But I'd really, really love to learn how to ride a bike, in fact while I've always wanted to do that, ever since I got on my bicycle as a little kid, then a few years later when I first rode pillion on my uncle's bike. I was never even especially excited about learning to drive. I do have my permit, but I hardly ever drive (don't need it much as well, good public transportation)

mobilehaathi, we'll need details on that I think ;)

8. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

I plain on taking the test in 3 mouths, can't wait. I am not one who want's to go fast, I just want to enjoy my surroundings. I will probably get a small Harley.

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I was in Jaipur (although I didn't drive into the old city, where that video is shot, you get the idea), and my friend let me drive his bike. Cars, trucks, cows, dogs, the occasional camel, the rare elephant, bicycles, motorbikes, pedestrians, auto rickshaws, cycle rickshaws, pulled rickshaws, buses, push carts....chaos.

That was scary....I stuck to being a passenger after that. Maybe next time I visit him I'll try it again........maybe.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

11. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

It was fun.. but now it's over... and I passed the riding exam! :D Well, no one failed. This one guy got 20 pts knocked off (21 max) but everyone passed.

I completely screwed up the figure 8 (2 u-turns in a box) and made minor mistakes like braking before reaching the cone marker. All in all, I passed with not too bad of flying colors, but I am more comfortable on getting a bike and just getting out and ride.

Some advice for new riders, especially ppl who take a class on it but have extremely no experience whatsoever on riding.. its okay to get frustruated, especially the first day. I got extremely frustrated and kinda angry near the end of the first riding day. That wasn't good, it didn't give me the mindset on what I required to ride. Today (2nd day, last too) was A LOT better. I was able to get on, launch without stalling, shift smooth both up and down, cornering, stopping, etc. The only part I just really **** up with is the close cornering and tight u-turns. Beyond that, Im confident I can get on the local streets and just ride.

My mom is still yelling at me for even taking this class.. she hates for me to take risks since I'm an only child haha.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Must have been interesting. ;)

Congratulations. Really. You're a braver man than I am. ;) I've always wanted to try one, but lack of opportunity and drive aren't a good combination.

I guess to get access to a bike, I'll need to get lessons.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

all i rememeber is that thier bikes at the msf course were crusider style and hard to handle compared to my sportbike lol which i learned on before i took the class

adjusting to a different bike was difficult for me initially lol. you cant believe how much more flickability a sportbike has over cruisers. not even near the same league

14. biker74 macrumors member

biker74

Excellent stuff, bet you were chuffed.

Next step, the 500cc :)

15. ayeying thread starter macrumors 601

ayeying

How much different is it? I've only liked the sportbikes, which I want to get, and last time I just sat on one, it felt like everything was smoother then the bikes at MSF. The MSF bikes... everything was either too sensitive or just not sensitive enough or too rough.

Im looking at the 600cc now. lol

16. shfreelance macrumors 6502a

My step-dad always told me, after I take the course. Start with a 600 CC sport bike or a 883 Harley Sporster. Those bikes should keep you entertain for some time, easy to learn. Then move into a 750, then a 1000+ over time.

The 500 CC and under, he say's gets boring fast.

Edit: Your going to wreck, it's a giving.

17. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I'd love to have a bike... dangerous in areas but t'would be fun...

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Seriously - consider a used Buell Blast for a starter bike. It's got the 500cc engine, they're well balanced, and EASY to learn on. Add to that, you can find one DIRT CHEAP - as everyone buys them for starter bikes, then moves on to "bigger bikes". I've seen many - only 1 year old - with less than 2,000 miles for only $1900 on craigslist.

Just about EVERYONE spills or whoopsies in their first 6 months of riding - and not just on the road, but parking lots, or even putting it on the stand. I'd heavily advise against buying a new anything (let alone Harley) until you have at least 6-12 months down.

That way there, you can relax and worry less about your new bike - and worry more about your riding technique.

You may also change your style/habits after being on the road for a while, you may decide you like sport or touring - and it would stink to be tied into a cruiser then.

19. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I had a great time during my test. I have raced Motocross since 2001 and learned some good bike control in that environment.

Most of the guys at the testing station I was at were attempting to give each other advice, commented on others riding, and simply were to be avoided at all costs. I simply walked to the other side of the paddock and watched people testing, while making observations. It was a good time watching, and learning. I hopped on my trusty NT650 when it was my turn, did the the first (left hand turn) obstical just fine.

I started the cone weave and got passed the last cone when I stalled the bike and had to touch the ground. :( . Not knowing that this was okay to do once I thought I failed, but still finished that section.

I ended up passing the test with those being the only points lost :D

Anyone who rides should always wear some good quality gear! Seen too many people go down in 2008 and get seriously hurt when it was avoidable (talking road rash type injuries and minor concussions). High gas prices are making for lots of new riders, and lots of them seem have little respect for what can happen even in a solo crash (meaning no other vehicles are involved), let alone multi vehicle crashes!

[​IMG]

20. Queso macrumors G4

That takes me back. Here in the UK the basic beginner course is a 1-day CBT, which I did back in 1993. It pissed it down with rain all day, and whilst doing the round the cone thing for the first time I somehow managed to come off the clutch, pull a wheelie (on a 125!!!), and send the bike heading straight towards a nearby wall. Luckily I stopped the bike before it hit, but I was so relieved I forgot to put my feet down so the bike fell over anyway :D

Somehow they still let me out on the road :eek:

You'll be glad to know though that my riding skills are these days much improved. I'm off to get changed into my leathers now ready to ride home :)

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

much differnet

for the love of God do not get a 600cc sport bike as your first bike. waaaaaaaayyyyy too much for you to handle (especially since you havent ridden a bike since 8 years old)

id get either a ninja 250r (does 0-60 in 5.x seconds and a 14 quater mile)
    or ninja 500r or even a 650 series (i like the 650r ninja or suzuki 650)

please do not get a 600cc supersport. i dont want to later hear you died on the thing.

hell, im pretty confident on my bike and i have yet to have the guts to own a 600cc bike as my main one. although i can handle it, its too scary. im looking at the suzuki 650 for my next though. you may ask well isnt 650 more than 600? well yes and no. the 650 is not a supersport, not a highly tuned race bike, and not a 4 cylinder bike. instead the 650 is more beginner friendly since in has a more friendly torque curve

let me repeat, DO NOT GET A 600cc bike as your FIRST. even if you were a pro mountain biker, no way but the fact that you arent even a regular bike rider scares me.

not to mention that a 600cc bike is expensive as hell to insure (too many squids and accidents) and some insurers wont even insure you on a 600, or litre bike until you have 10 years riding experience

also, 600cc are expensive to BUY. a ninja 250 is msrp at 3500 bucks
    does this look like a lame bike?
    http://www.zpower.com.au/catalog/images/2008_Ninja250R_Right.jpg that my frined is the 08 250r

that bike gets 60-70mpg as well

a 600cc like an cbr600 or r6 or whatever are near 10,000 dollars

regardless what you get, buget like 1500 for GEAR

DO NOT SKIMP ON GEAR. trust me

i hope you listen to what ive said, i really do

think im alone with this opinion?
    check out this thread
    http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=116620
    thats just one of countless

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no offense that is the worst advice ever and are not easy to learn.....

23. Queso macrumors G4

Some 600cc bikes are fine for beginners. Take the Yamaha Fazer for instance. That's the perfect bike to get used to the road on. It has a variant of the R6 engine in it, but unlike the R6 doesn't encourage you to always go that little bit faster.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea true but looking at a 600cc supersport as a first bike is on the verge of lunacy imo

its not the power per say but the torque curve. hell ive hit bumps which have caused me to accidenly twist the throttle. if it was on a lite bike, it would have flown out from under me

25. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Yeah, I haven't ridden a motorcycle since I was in elementary school and would ride my dad's honda 350. It was a big bike considering how young I was. My sister's boyfriend just got a new bike and let me ride it yesterday. I K 600 and boy was it fun.

Attached Files: