So I Saw a Verizon Voyager and...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lilnyc, Aug 20, 2008.

1. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

It was like a sad joke. My co-worker was so ecstatic, and I wanted to share his joy, it looked like a 1990 cell phone (interface) mated with an overweight iPhone and had a fat bastard.

However, I'll give credit where it's due. I stopped laughing when I saw the live TV feature. Sure, I've seen the commercials and thought, "Who needs that?" But upon seeing it live, I have to say that I was impressed. The reception/quality was pretty good, and the channels changed really rapidly.

I wouldn't want the fat bastard phone from Verizon, but I would love for the iPhone to have that one live TV feature.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 604

Zwhaler

Ah the Voyager isn't that bad. Coming from the EnV, I must say it is a good improvement. The touchscreen isn't very good, but I would say I'd get the Dare or the Voyager if I had to have Verizon. But honestly I don't want TV if it means I have to have an external antenna on the iPhone.

3. lilnyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

It has an external antenna? Ew.

4. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    There are two main kinds of carrier-sold mobile TV in the US right now:

1) MobiTV, which uses streaming video over the internet, requiring a decent speed connection and lots of data. (The iPhone can't use those services, because it doesn't have a realtime streaming video player.)

2) MediaFLO from Qualcomm, which does NOT use the net. It's simply digital video primed for mobile devices, transmitted from towers in some major cities. It requires a special chipset and a pull-out antenna when you want to use it, just as if you had a handheld LCD TV.