So I started to install Windows on my MBP...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by D-Love, Mar 12, 2009.

1. D-Love macrumors regular

And I put in the install disk and had my MBP boot from the disk.

The Windows install started and then started to think, this isn't the way to use boot camp I don't think - I better stop this. So I panic and power off the MBP when it was still installing Windows stuff from the blue screen. I do a search and find out that I can boot from my HD instead of disk by holding option. So I do that, eject the disk and everything seems to be fine.

I am wondering tho, is it? Are there leftover Windows files on my HD that I won't be able to get rid of unless I do a fresh install of OSX? I did go into Boot Camp assistant and started the partition only to decide not to do it. The Boot Camp partition is still there. Can I get rid of that until I decide to do it later(prolly with Windows 7 now)?

Sorry if this comes across as being a total noob - I just want to make sure nothing is F'd up. haha

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Nothing is F'd up :p all you need to do is delete the windows partition and you're set!

I used bootcamp for a few weeks when I got my first macbook (bootcamp was a beta back then) I uninstalled windows after about 2 weeks because the Mac OS was such a breath of fresh air that I didn't like booting into windows anyway. I had Vista Ultimate.

Now bootcamp is only available in tandem with OS 10.5 on, and I'm still on 10.4.11 so it's no longer even an option for me, but I don't miss it.

SLC

3. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

I got rid of it but it still shows up when I go into Disk Utility. Its labeled BOOTCAMP and shows here that it is still taking up 5.7 GB of space. The format is MS-DOS (FAT).

What I'm worried about is, because I force powered off the computer right in the middle of the blue screen Windows install, is that there is fragments of Windows still lying around. Worse, because I did this by booting directly from the CD instead of using Boot Camp assistant, I worry that I over-wrote something in OSX by accident.

When I interrupted the Windows blue screen install, does that get rid of all the drivers, etc. that had already been installed or does it stay there in code just floating around? Or again, worse yet, over-write anything?

4. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I got rid of the partition. I just had to go into Bootcamp assistant again and have it remove the Windows partition. Now it no longer shows up. :)

Everything seems fine now, but I am still worried about the aborted Windows install. When I aborted did it delete any potential installed info on the hard drive automatically or is anything still potentially there?

5. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Dude relax you are fine. Deleting the partition pretty much takes care of any data the Windows installer had written...I believe OS X would take over the rest of the hard drive again and format after you delete the Windows partition.

Cheers.

-J.-

6. D-Love thread starter macrumors regular

I wasn't worried about the partition itself, its the fact I at first booted the Windows disk from the CD instead of using Bootcamp assistant. But I don't think anything is wrong. I checked and repaired permissions just to make sure. Permissions found a couple things marked wrong but after doing a google search learned that this is rather common.

7. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Yup, I assure you that everything is just fine. Enjoy the Mac!!!

SLC