So I thought Mac's never chrashed?? (pic)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buyusfear, Jun 7, 2008.

1. buyusfear macrumors 6502

So I just bought this MBP Penryn like a month ago. Did the firs recalibration on the battery last night, turned it on this morning, the screen was darkish, like when in expose, and there was a little meter in the bottom middle of the screen, and then

this......

[​IMG]

wtf?

was it because my usb mous was plugged in?
    I had to restart.

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

A well circulated and entirely incorrect rumor. Mine crashes once in a while (mostly kernel panics)

3. skyton macrumors 6502

it does happen every now and then
    but not nearly as often as when i used to use a PC!

4. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Yep, every computer crashes once in awhile, regardless of its OS. That’s a corollary to, “Never was a bronc couldn’t be rode, never was a cowboy couldn’t be throwed.”

5. 7031 macrumors 6502

That issue looks to me like either a random crash, the video card is failing or it's overheating.

Of course, if the same thing happens again, maybe you should let Apple have a look at it.

6. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies.

Yeah i don't know. I drained the battery last night until it put itself to sleep. I then let it sit like that over night and then plugged it in to charge this morning. I went out for the day, came back, light was green, turned it on, it started to do it's thing and then it progressively went into that screen.

Definatly doesn;t make me happy. I've had the 24'' iMac since January with zero issues and I run the hell out of it. The MBP is just my out and about machine, clean as a whistle. Aside from office 08, which was open when it went to sleep, and it was running when I turned it on (word) so maybee it was ****** ass microsoft that was responsible for the jam.
    After restart it seems to be normal..

7. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I have experienced one kernel panic in two years of ownership. I also use FCP and other heavy duty graphic programs. Not to shabby if you ask me.

8. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I had an old iBook G4 do a similar thing a few times, it turned out to be a loose ram module and whenever it was moved or bumped it would pop out of its slot a bit and crash.

Although it was accompanied by a loud crackling sound from the speakers.

maybe the low battery made the ram forget some important stuff during its sleep?

9. philgilder macrumors 68000

nope
    when you drain the battery, jut before there is no battery left, the RAM contents are transferred to the HDD, which is read when the mac resumes

10. bartelby macrumors Core

Do you kee the MBP sitting on the slip cover?
    That might not be a good idea. They dissipate a lot of heat from the underside of the casing. You'll be be trapping that heat.

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Looks like a graphics card issue to me. My G5 did something similar but turned red not grey.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My first had 4 kernel panics in in the first week; replacement 2; finally 3rd one didn't until it warped which is when I ended up with my current one.

13. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

So do you guys suggest I wait it out, or take it to the retailer and have them look at it?

14. rev316 macrumors regular

When any kind of video memory corruption and/or artifacting occurs; I take it in.

15. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

16. buyusfear thread starter macrumors 6502

So I just called the store where I bought it, and the tech guy said I could bring it in, but that I had at least a year on the warranty, so unless I had the time to waste (no skin off their back), he suggested to just keep an eye on it 'cause it probably wouldn't happen again, and that the re-calibration most likely was the culprit.

My speakers were crackly as-well just now, but maybe it was the crappy tutorial I was watching, as they seem to be fine now...

what to do, what to do...:confused: