So I transferred my # from T-Mobile

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shinenjk, Aug 1, 2008.

1. shinenjk macrumors regular

I tried logging on to my Tmobile account and it says my number is invalid. Am I supposed to call them to tell them I'm canceling? I know it seems like a rhetorical question but I don't see the need to do this since the account gets closed automatically when the number gets transferred. Any advice on this issue?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Nothing to do. They will send you a final bill in the mail. Your account has been deleted, and you WILL find it hard for Customer Service to help you as they won't be able to find your account because your phone number has been removed from their system.

TEG

3. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Well one reason why I wanted to call was so I won't be charged for the ETF. T Mobile has raised their txting price and I got charged new rates for the txts so I wanted out of the contract w/ out paying the ETF. I guess when I receive the bill and it shows ETF, I'll call then.

4. Ninja Guidan macrumors regular

Was your contract up? If so, then I would think there is nothing to worry about...or are we talking about the same thing?

5. insocal macrumors regular

If you JUST switched, you have an OUT without paying the ETF as TMOBILE just sent everyone an insert with their bills saying they are increasing their TEXT MESSAGE rates as of August 29. This is a material change to the contract which allows you to cancel without paying an ETF.

You can call and verify. I did for a friend.

Hope that helps!

6. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Yep this is why I switched to iPhone during the middle of my contract (had about 1 more year left). I will call T-mobile to verify. Thanks. :D

7. mrl72 macrumors regular

Did you call and were you able to get out of your ETF? I'm in a similar situation where I canceled my contract to move to AT&T and got hit with a $200 ETF. When speaking with the CSR they said I upgraded my phone back in Nov '06 and that automatically extended my contract by two years (although I swear it was only one but can't find my receipt/contract from that day). I'm a little more than 3 months away from contract end which would have put me at the $100 ETF instead of $200. Any ideas how to also get out of the current ETF?

8. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

O dude, you can totally get out of this. T-Mobile is raising the txt fees mid-late August. Tell them that you want the ETF waived because that is a clear breach of the contract. BUT you need to make sure that you have no unlimited txt plan on your phone. If you have any other txt plans, make sure you go over your limit before you call.

I called in last night and the lady waived it with no problem. So I just paid my last bill w/out the ETF and was done. Good bye T-Mobile.

9. mrl72 macrumors regular

Thing is I killed my contract with them on launch day (almost 30 days ago). I had the 400/mo text plan and never went over.

10. herbiehancock00 macrumors member

Logon to my Tmobile and cancel your 400/mo text plan. It will take up to 24 hours for the effect to take place and you'll receive an sms notice saying that the sms plan had been cancelled. Then just send a text to someone and you'll have incurred a cost and the CSR won't have an argument against you. That worked for me about 3 weeks ago, not sure about now.

11. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

I just switched from T-Mobile

Call their CSR line. Although your number has been ported they can still look up your information. While I cannot confirm the guaranteed OUT via text message increase, I can tell you they have $17 plans you can keep alive until you feel ready to cancel.

12. mrl72 macrumors regular

Yeah I was thinking of reactivating my account (which you can do within 60 days of cancelation and still keep your old number) but am thinking they'll hit me with a reactivation fee and an extension of the contract. But if my number is ported how can I reactivate the account?

13. digiphantom macrumors regular

slightly off topic since my original contract with TMO has been over a year ago and I'm on month to month.

A few days ago, I got the iPhone 3G through AT&T and didn't want to immediately port my number so that I can test if I'm happy with AT&T. I'm under the assumption that AT&T will still allow me to port over my number. So far so good.

This up coming weekend I'm going to port over from TMO to AT&T. What additional info do I need when I stop by an AT&T corp store? I am the primary account holder on my TMO plan.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

There's usually an extra charge to change your current provider's cell number...

15. shinenjk thread starter macrumors regular

Not true - at least it wasn't the case for me. I didn't get charged anything to port my number.

Here's the info you'll need to port your # to AT&T:

Name
    T-Mobile Account #
    Billing Address
    Social Security #
    Phone # to port

You'll know everything off the top of your head except for the T-Mobile account # so make sure to have that with you when you go.

16. rhyx macrumors 6502

You can port your number after the fact with AT&T. I just did it a few days ago.

17. digiphantom macrumors regular

Did you get charged a fee for the porting?

@shinenjk: Thanks for the info.

18. tritonj macrumors 6502a

there should be no fee