So I tried out the iPad 2 today

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PaulWog, Aug 25, 2011.

1. PaulWog Suspended

So I tried out an iPad 2 today (one of my parents brought one home as a temp from their work for the day -- it's supposed to be used in education).

I don't get it! Why is the screen so nice?! Compared to my 2011 Macbook Air 11-inch screen, the iPad 2 screen is a 10/10, and mine is more a 7.8/10 (my numbers are not quantitative of course).

The second think I'm wondering is this: How many of you use keyboard case attachments for the iPad 2 and use it for notes? It seems relatively functional in that regard. The screen was so clear that I felt like I wasn't typing on such a small device either.

I've decided that I'm more intrigued by the iPad, but at the same time (based on my experience with it), my Macbook Air does the things an iPad 2 would do for me. So I am going to continue holding off on a tablet purchase until next year (so I'll see what the iPad 3 offers and whatnot). I just don't have much of a use for a tablet (no room in my life) other than a very frivolous expense... for now. :p But I figured I'd share my comment on the screen, and ask how people like using a keyboard with their iPad2 (I found the touchpad on the iPad 2 is great for writing, even at a fast pace, but not ideal for taking notes while looking at a board away from the iPad for prolonged time).

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

The MBA and iPad both have quite nice screens, in my opinion. The iPad + keyboard combination is really nice for getting things done. The MBA is infinitely more flexible, though. If there is room in your life for an ereader, then you might find the iPad to be a powerful supplement (not replacement) for a computer. It covers about 90 percent of my work. Your mileage will vary.

A search will turn up many threads discussing typing on the iPad, bluetooth keyboards with the iPad, and notetaking with the iPad.

3. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

I used to think an iPad was lil more than a bigger iPod touch until I used one for a few days. Now I think it's more like a larger iPhone without the phone and minus a few preinstalled apps.

With that said I like typing on the iPhone more and I can do it with one hand quite effectively. Not so much with the iPad.

4. trip1ex macrumors 68000

IT's definitely a new device category. It doesn't replace a laptop as far as the heavy lifting goes. But for light computing, for communicating and consuming along with portability it is mostly better than a laptop.

5. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

6. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Why do so many iPad naysayers read the iPad forums? An iPad can and will do just about anything you want it to, sometimes it requires modifying your workflow but to date there is only one thing I have found that I want it to do that it can't and that is to connect to work's proprietary VPN.

I use it standalone for personal use most of the time but for work I use the apple Bluetooth keyboard with the origami case or if I'm note taking I use a stylus, it is so flexible and can accomplish so many different tasks, you just have to invest the time to make it work for you otherwise you will just use it as a passive consumption device.

7. cshearer macrumors regular

That's odd that it won't connect to your employer's VPN. Then again, I had to hand my iPad over to my college's IT department to get it to work.

8. ascNYC macrumors member

Use it for work (and play) all the time

I have found the iPad to be indispensable on a daily basis for both work and pleasure. Our company uses Citrix and with the Citrix client installed I can fully replicate my Windows XP desktop, access flash based websites in MS Explorer, use MS Office including Outlook and Communicator, access my company's shared network drives, printers, etc. The best part about Citrix is that you can use your iPhone as a bluetooth trackpad for your iPad. I use the apple wireless keyboard and that allows me to do pretty much everything I need to do on my work PC without lugging it around evenings, weekends, and when I travel.

We also use Good Messenger at work for additional email, calendar and contact access which works fine on both my iPad and iPhone.

Personally the iPad is used daily as an eReader, TV and movie player, email app, music player (however I like the iPhone better for music) and the endless number of apps (games, news, banking, shopping, web, etc.) fill in the blanks for any remaining time.

I used to bring my laptop home every night. Now armed with my iPad, iPhone and a few lightweight wireless accessories I can do 99% of what I need to do both personally and professionally.

Really couldn't be happier.

-a

9. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

They use some proprietary VPN that uses IE to login and checks that you have all the "security" software installed like anti virus, firewall and malware protection. I can connect to client sites just fine and access my work email through Exchange.

10. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Isn't an iPod touch == iPhone without the phone?

I think the ipad is more than a big ipod touch. Some days after work I leave my laptop in the bag and only use the iPad.

11. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

For the last 14 months I have loved my iPad.

I did however just buy a 17" MBP and I am loving it as well.

They are different devices for different things. I still spend lots of time on my iPad. But this bigass 17" screen sure is nice as well ;)

12. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I love my iPad 2, but now that I don't have classes to take notes in, I use my Air about 85% of the time. The most use I get from the iPad is for browsing and for netflix, both while working out on my elliptical at home (which it's PERFECT for).

13. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

That is an awesome idea. I never thought to use my iPad while on my elliptical machine. I can work out while watching Scrubs on Netflix! You've made my whole day.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You just tried an electronic device that was released more than 5 months ago? That was quick.

15. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Glad I could help. :D It actually makes me wish I had a nicer elliptical, or a stationary bike to swap with, because after about 30 minutes on my elliptical my feet start falling asleep....but I wanna keep going! ;)

16. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Mine fall asleep, too. I actually can't use the elliptical machine with shoes on. I talked to my trainer about it and he said that because the elliptical machine is so low impact, proper footwear isn't necessarily required. Another thing I find that helps is rolling through my feet with every stride. This is totally off topic, but thought I'd share my input!

17. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

THANKS! I'll try that out.

[Sorry for the threadjack, OP]

18. glen e, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

glen e macrumors 68030

If you go over to the MBA forum you will hear the ipad is a toy and the MBA is so much better. Rubbish. They are for different applications. I own both and find them to be indespensible . I just went on the road for two months and took both. The MBA created the presentations as a mouse and real keyboard are better for CREATING content. I then used the ipad to CONSUME AND SHOW the content I created. It was really nice doing presentations with just a projector and the ipad. Further, you can't show content & videos to people in sales situations standing up with a MBA, but you can just hand them an ipad to show the idea, video or PDF. It works well when doing business standing up, like on a job site.

Further, when done with work and lounging on a couch or bed, the ipad surfs so well but would be cumbersome on an MBA.

They serve diff purposes, I love them both. Neither does the other's job.The ipad vs laptop threads are childish and ridiculous.

19. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Agreed! When I bought my iPad, I nearly walked out with a MBA, as well. I still want one. They are both different and both amazing. No denying that!

20. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Amen. The notion that an iPad can replace a laptop for any and all uses is roughly equivalent to the claim that a Miata can replace an F-150. The iPad is a great device. I've come to appreciate its features more and more over the last six months. By the same token, if I had to give up either the iPad or my quadcore laptop and attached 23" display, the iPad would have to find a new home. Fortunately, I don't have to choose.

21. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

I think the real confusion lies in trying to figure out which device would best suit your personal needs (or at least I was confused by it). But as I said, there is do denying that both the Apple laptop's and the iPad are incredible machines. There really is no comparing them. :apple:'s and oranges ;)

22. mystik610 macrumors regular

The iPad has an IPS display and a higher PPI...so yes the iPad display is better than the MBA's.