So I tried to format my HD (n00b)

arrggg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
I'm a little new to the Mac world, but I know my way around a PC.

My cousin wanted me to get rid of any of her personal data on this iMac (running 9.2)

I asked her for the install discs and she gave me a disc called "AppleCare"
I think, Looks Good... put the disc in reboot the iMac, hold down "C" to boot to CDRom, and it booted to it.

I went under "Utilities", and "Drive Setup", and did a "Zero All Data" and Initalize. after a while it wiped out everything.

Now how do I resetup the OS... I don't have another OS disc (and if I did I can't seem to find a way to eject this "AppleCare" disc.)

What can I do... if I reboot the iMac it keeps booting to the "AppleCare" disc.

Thanks,
Jeff-

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
arrggg said:

My cousin wanted me to get rid of any of her personal data on this iMac (running 9.2)

I think, Looks Good... put the disc in reboot the iMac, hold down "C" to boot to CDRom, and it booted to it.

I went under "Utilities", and "Drive Setup", and did a "Zero All Data" and Initalize. after a while it wiped out everything.

Now how do I resetup the OS... I don't have another OS disc (and if I did I can't seem to find a way to eject this "AppleCare" disc.)

Thanks,
Jeff-
Are you asking how to take the disc out?

Restart the computer, and once it turns on, hold down the mouse (right click if you have a 2 button mouse) untill the disc comes out.

EDIT: sorry, I mean left click.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
arrggg said:

Thanks,
Jeff-
Hold down the mouse button whilst rebooting to eject the disc.

To reinstall the OS you'll need her original restore discs that came with the Mac, the AppleCare disc (I'm at a loss as to how she got a hold of one of them) is a diagnostic disc used by Apple technicians - it doesn't have the OS on it. Just ask her for the OS Restore discs.

arrggg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
Chundles said:
Hold down the mouse button whilst rebooting to eject the disc.

To reinstall the OS you'll need her original restore discs that came with the Mac, the AppleCare disc (I'm at a loss as to how she got a hold of one of them) is a diagnostic disc used by Apple technicians - it doesn't have the OS on it. Just ask her for the OS Restore discs.
Thanks, I got the disc out. She says she doesn't have the restore disc, or any other discs :(

maybe I need to find a *Shaddy* way of getting the restore disc.

quruli

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
arrggg said:
Thanks, I got the disc out. She says she doesn't have the restore disc, or any other discs :(

Is it ok to assume that most PC people take the "shady" route to get software? :rolleyes:

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
arrggg said:

You could always just buy OS 9.2 disks, or even OS X disks.

arrggg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
quruli said:
Is it ok to assume that most PC people take the "shady" route to get software? :rolleyes:
I would... but I also think all Middle Easterers are terroists... :p

That and I don't want to really spend any money... they are planning on Freecycleing this PC anyway. Just wanted to give the person getting it an OS.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
arrggg said:
I need to find a *Shaddy* way of getting the restore disc.
Well, it wouldn't help you anyway, since its tremendously unbelievably difficult to burn boot-able classic Mac OS discs from a PC.

I'd suggest eBay.