So I Tried Using Series 3 LTE With IPhone @ Home

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Soba1, May 10, 2018.

1. Soba1 macrumors regular

Soba1

Had to leave my phone at home to charge it was powered on. But I was able to place a call and use Apple Pay. Nice

I tried yesterday in close proximity to my phone with it off and it didn’t work

2. chabig macrumors 603

Phone calls require a network connection. Unless you have LTE enables on the watch, or WiFi connected, the watch can’t make calls without an iPhone. Apple Pay doesn’t require a network connection at all.

3. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Thanks, but was quite impressed that I was able to leave the phone at home and make calls

4. chabig macrumors 603

I would be too. I have the LTE watch but I haven't paid for LTE service yet.

5. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

Pay for it when u feel you might need it turn it off when u don’t

6. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Problem with at least US carriers is they will charge you an activation fee each time you decide to "turn LTE on" so, money wise, you either keep the service or not.

7. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

I got mine through Verizon I believe I get three months free. I’m going to keep it on; it’s $10.00 per month.

8. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Are you turning it on and off by the month? My understand is with ATT, is 10 bucks a month and it's not easy to turn on/off.

9. Soba1 thread starter macrumors regular

Soba1

I plan on leaving mine on. At work I tend to leave my phone at my desk so it’s nice to have a backup

10. StarShot macrumors 6502a

StarShot

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was referring to turning off the $10 monthly tether charge.

11. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

I think that's because its connected to iPhone? You could set up wifi calling on iPhone & it will work I suppose.

12. Banglazed, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018

Banglazed macrumors 68020

Banglazed

Yes, the Apple Watch will need the paired iPhone to be powered on because the Watch relay back to the iPhone to send and receive messages and calls. If the cellular or WiFi is off on the Watch or iPhone is on airplane mode, you won’t be able to text or calls

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547