iPad mini So I unboxed the iPad Mini, now what?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rsquirrel, Jun 16, 2014.

1. rsquirrel macrumors member

I've added a screen protector. I see no information on what to do with the ipad mini. Does it need to be charged before I turn it on?

Any other tips? Settings I should change, etc.

Can't seem to find any information about charging before use.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can turn it on and start using it. It probably doesn't have a full charge, so you may want to fully charge it, but that doesn't have to be done before you start using it.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/essentials/

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

No need to charge in advance. Turn it on. It'll take you through the setup procedure.

Once setup, you may want to use iBooks and download the free iPad manual. The Safari browser will also have a bookmark for accessing the manual.

Recommended settings are going to vary, sometimes widely. Once you have it up and running, tap the Settings icon and start exploring.

Visit this Apple Support page to learn ways to conserve your battery life: http://www.apple.com/batteries/ipad.html

I recommend setting up iCloud and automatic iCloud backup (it's part of setup). Find My iPhone (iPad), ditto.

Passcode Lock - yes/no - be sure that the code won't be forgotten, presuming you create one, recovering from a forgotten passcode isn't the most fun you can have.

Go to Apple's

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

You should be able to start using it right out of the box. You can charge it up or wait.

Browse the App Store for things that interest you and see if any apps come up.

6. 960design, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014

960design macrumors 68030

1). Remove the plastic screen protector. The plastic will get scratched very easily. After a couple of months you will return the forums and complain about how crappy your screen looks. I've had hundreds of users come to me saying snidely, 'I thought you said the screen was good, this thing looks like crap after only a couple of months'. I rip their crappy plastic cover off and 'sounds of angels singing, a bright light shines down' the pretty glass shines once again. I then take out the scissors and 'scratch' across the surface of the glass. They panic, then calm down. The glass is pretty tough. The only thing I've found to scratch it is sliding it face down on a table without a case that has sand on it. Yep that will scratch it. If your case has a little corner protection, it will lift if just high enough to keep the sand from scratching it if you try this at home.
    2). Get a case; anything that has protection for the corners. DO NOT get one of those folio cases that hold your iPad in with little stretch nylon straps and does NOT have anything protecting the edge. First drop and the little stretchy nylon thing will stretch, your ipad corner will smack the ground and you will have a dented case and a $179 glass repair
    3) Turn it on. iDevices come with about 70% power. This gives the battery the best storage/holding capacity for long term non use, like after it gets shipped from the factory. A fully charged iPad battery would NOT be able to 'stretch' during the long off times.
    4) Create an iCloud account and start enjoying some books from iBooks. I can recommend a couple of free ones to get your started: Joshua Slocum, 'Sailing Around the World' and Friedrich Nietzsche, 'Thus Spake Zarthustra'

7. rsquirrel thread starter macrumors member

8. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

10. rsquirrel thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't always take that long. For my HP Slate it was 2 weeks or so and the screen protectors arrived before the case.

Select the model from the top drop down. I didn't even grab the link for the seller I used. I just was trying to show what one I picked.

11. AT101ET macrumors 6502

Download a bunch of free apps from the top 150 featured on the App Store and work your way through them :)

12. FiremanMike macrumors regular

A note on screen protectors.

Between my family, we have 3 iPhones and 4 iPads. None of them have screen protectors and none of them are scratched. It is notable to mention that I keep my iphone in my pocket, as does my teenage daughter, my wife shoves hers in her purse..

13. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Same here, we stopped using them a few years ago and all the iPhones and iPads are fine.

14. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

turn it on and go thru the setup process. the setup is pretty straightforward, yes or no and u need to connect to your wifi... then ENJOY. :D

15. AlphaHel1X macrumors newbie

AlphaHel1X

They haven't been needed since the iPhone 3GS/4 era. Now they use gorilla glass 3, which is good stuff