So I upgraded my late 2011 MacBook Pro...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by freduke, Jan 5, 2013.

1. freduke macrumors newbie

I've just threw a Samsung 830 512gb ssd and put the 500gb hard drive in the optical bay.

I figured out how to clone my old hard drive to the new ssd and everything boots up fine and I even updated to Mountain Lion.

So I really don't have anything on the macbook except for the OS, I would like to grab all the music, pictures and videos from my PC and put them on the hard drive in my macbook pro, I just don't really know how to go about this. I would appreciate if someone could guide me with how to do this. Am I supposed to have the OS on both the hard drive and ssd? Do I erase everything on the hard drive before I try migrating from my pc? I plan on just moving my files with a memory card, I don't have that much data so that's not a problem. I just want to know where and how I am gonna put my data onto the hard drive in my macbook.

I appreciate all the help. :confused:

2. bushido Suspended

bushido

put the OS and programs on the SSD and use the hdd for storage ... music, videos, pictures etc. (no need to have the OS on both)

if u still got everything u want to add back (music etc) on your PC like u said then simply erase the optical bay hdd and then move the data on the hdd from the pc

does that make sense? its late, my english may be on sleep mode right now lol

3. spartacvs macrumors member

Just like what Bushido suggested, put your apps and OS X only in SSD and your music, videos, pictures, etc to the optical HDD.

4. freduke thread starter macrumors newbie

so when I play iTunes it will automatically play the songs from the hard drive?

If I were to download music it will ask me to save on the hard drive instead of the sad?

do I just go into disk manager to erase the drive? or do I have to reboot and hold option to erase it?
    thanks for the replies

5. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Maybe it is just me, and everyone's usage is different, but with a 512GB SSD, toss it all on there.

I run an Intel 510 250GB and a traditional HDD in the drive bay similar to your setup.

I keep OSx, all applications, photos, and music on the SSD, and still have quite a bit of space left. One partition on the HDD is for Time Machine backups, and another is for movies and personal swap space so to speak.

With regards to downloading data, if using iTunes, it will default to where your library is. If from a browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.) it will go where the browser tells it based on your downloads folder.

My concern is if you already put your HDD which used to [and may still] contain a copy of your old installation. When you are booting up right now, there is little way to guarantee what drive you are booting from without more information from you (any commands issued upon boot up and such).

When doing drive swaps, I install the new drive in an external enclosure and clone to that. Then remove and replace the internal drive and boot up. After that, plug the old drive into the external, and format it. Then install into the laptop.

This makes it considerably more safe to know that when you repartition and wipe a drive, you are not removing any necessary boot files.

I would avoid using a memory card if you are referring to something like an SD card. Painfully slow transfer speeds. Even a modest MP3 collection will crawl along, not to mention you better have a large card for transfers. If not, then you probably didn't need a 512GB SSD in the first place. Props on the 830, they are outstanding bits of hardware though.

6. bkd0255 macrumors member

if you clean install the os there is a way you can turn your two hard drives into a fusion hard drive. It would appear to your mac as one hardrive and combine the storage so you dont have to manage between the 2 hardrives for all your music and stuff.

7. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I think it's just you, I wouldn't know what to do with the other 6.5tb of data :D:D:D:D

8. Gizmo22 macrumors regular

Gizmo22

Hoarders. Computer edition.

9. Ccrew macrumors 68020

LOL. Pretty much so! :)