So I upgraded to the new iPad....question 4 U

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2010
First of all, the screen is amazing. I've had the 1 and the 2. The screen looks bigger because it's so sharp. I know...
So I have the iphone4, and for over a year I have had no screen protection, and don't have any scratches. I am careful. Thinking about going without a screen protector on the new iPad, unless the glare becomes annoying. How scratch resistant is the screen? I worried a screen protector will diminish the quality of the screen.
Also, when I restored the new iPad from backup of my ipad2, the available storage changed. My iPad2 showed I had 12GB available, and my ipad3 after loaded up showed 16GB available. The thing that changed was the "other", that is shown in iTunes. Does anyone know what the "other" is, and how to delete it?

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I have a zagg HD on mine

It feels like glass , u cant even tell its on there

Yea you never gotten a scratch but if you do, your going to be fixated on that thing , i know it would drive me crazy. & i would be kicking myself for not getting a screen protector

So if the screen protector doesn't take away from the retina quality , why not get one ?

Comment

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
As long as you keep good grooming habits (cutting your nails) I can't see a reason why the device would get scratched.

Unlike a PMP (portable media device) or phone, the iPad isn't in your pocket rubbing against change, keys, dirt, etc.

Comment

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
How scratch resistant is the screen?
How is anyone supposed to answer this in a way that means anything to you? it is not unscratchable. Take whatever precautions you feel ware worth taking.

I worried a screen protector will diminish the quality of the screen.
Then buy a quality crystal screen protector. Don't get the antifingerprint or matte options. Don't get a Zagg, BSE, etc. You can't go wrong with PS or SGP but there are certainly other good options as well.

Also don't overlook the countless prior screen protector threads.

As long as you keep good grooming habits (cutting your nails) I can't see a reason why the device would get scratched.
One's inability to imagine something doesn't mean it does not exist. Devices get scratched all the time

Comment

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
I'm guessing the other is your iOS.

Oh and get a clear screen protector for piece of mind.

Comment

elmz

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
I've never had a screen protector on any of my iPads or iPhones. They are pretty scratch resistant. I've personally taken a key to both of them to test it out. I was not being brutal but I was not being a bit*h about it either. I know its a little scary, but give it a try and see for yourself :D I'm sure if you really dug the key into it, it might scratch. Your fingerr or nails are not going to do any damage to the screen. Here's a video of someone demonstrating it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcIRttycB2I

Comment

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I've never had a screen protector on any of my iPads or iPhones. They are pretty scratch resistant. I've personally taken a key to both of them to test it out. I was not being brutal but I was not being a bit*h about it either. I know its a little scary, but give it a try and see for yourself :D I'm sure if you really dug the key into it, it might scratch. Your fingerr or nails are not going to do any damage to the screen. Here's a video of someone demonstrating it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcIRttycB2I
ballsy

Comment

ebolamonkey3

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
Boston
Well if you've been using your iPhone w/o a screen protector and haven't gotten any scratches, I think you'll be ok. In terms of scratch resistance the glass panel should be as strong as the iPhone's.

Personally I always use a screen protector just to be on the safe side.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.