So, I want to offer my services.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WillEH, Apr 1, 2011.

1. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

That is indeed correct, I would like to get some "online" experience with a website, it can involve customer service, writing, etc. I don't want to be paid, it would be volunteer. Maybe someone could direct me to the correct place. As much as I like MR, I really don't think it's the right place for this, but I don't know where else to look. "Online Volunteer" brings a lot of results on google, but not what I'm looking for :rolleyes:

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

volunteer at the local Food Bank ... or try working with Charity Websites

3. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Hey Apple, I was thinking more of Online customer service, dealing with customers issues, maybe for a small site, etc.

I've just read the rules for MR again, I think my thread may come as self-promoting, which is not allowed. So I think this may be deleted, etc :(

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

No, if it is not for profit, I think you are safe here.

Just wait a bit, while the members in the U.K. have a chance to peruse this thread.

I suspect most of them might be sleeping at the moment. At least one would hope. :p

5. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I don't mind if it's UK or US, or anything else. When it's online, I don't think it matters where you're from, as most places need people 24/7, so I could cover a certain time zone. Then again, I wouldn't mind writing, etc. Who knows. :eek:

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

If you want to help check out this site http://www.crowdrise.com/

it was started by Actor Edward Norton ... might be what you are looking for :cool:

7. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

Thanks for the reply Apple.

When I meant Volunteer, I didn't mean for Charity, I already give 10% of my pay to Charity :p I just want to do some online volunteer work for websites, such as profit websites, where I can deal with customer service, etc. Just to get an idea of stuff.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Online customer service isn't much different than real-life customer service, except you don't need to pretend to be happy to answer their stupid questions, and you can flip them the bird while typing a calm reply email in response. I don't know how much you could learn from doing this.

However, you can work in your underpants, which is a requirement for customer service reps (unless you're a stripper).

9. WillEH thread starter macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I wish I was a stripper ;)

Indeed it is, but I'd like to position my reputation online within customer service. I feel that smaller company's who can't afford to spent lots of money would benefit from someone like me. I've seen it a lot with Game Server Providers, they use volunteer people all the time. But I'm not super techy, so I don't think I'd be any good with server providers :p

10. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I think you might struggle to volunteer for a "for profit" organisation. I suspect it can create a lot of issues for them. If you are running an organisation like that, you want some sort of certainty over your staff. This is usually gained because they are getting paid and don't want to get fired. What's to stop volunteers from just not turning up one day?

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

For a for profit organization, you could try and offer your services to a small business.