Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Just got myself a new iPad. Bought an Apple case until something else catches my eye. My girlfriend and I are going away this weekend (Warped Tour 2010 :)) and we'd like to bring the iPad with us. The only problem is that the show starts at 11am and we won't be stopping by the hotel until AFTER the show.

This poses the problem of having to leave it in the car. Neither of us want to lug it around all day during the show so this is the only option. My concern isn't theft or anything but will the iPad be ok being left in the hot car for a few hours? I live in Central Florida with a black car (windows tinted, but it still gets burning hot in there) and I'm just wondering if I turn it off, if it'll be ok to leave there.

I personally don't think it will be as long as it's in the shade, but a second opinion on this would be very helpful. And thanks in advance!

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Non-operating max temp is 113F so I wouldn't unless you know it will be cool.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Christ, well the only way to know what the shade temp would be is to put a thermometer in the place I'd be putting it and leave it there through midday tomorrow before I go.

I really appreciate the specs, I wouldn't of even thought to check for that on their page.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Its probably not the best idea ever......but then again it would probably be fine.

Just let it cool down before you try to use it again and I'm sure it would be okay.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Its probably not the best idea ever......but then again it would probably be fine.

Just let it cool down before you try to use it again and I'm sure it would be okay.

Yeah, that would be the idea; let it cool down first. I think I'll take a temp of the car and make a decision based on the fact that I know the non-operating max temp now.

yukio

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2008
buy a cheap styrofoam cooler and put them inside it while inside your house and then close the lid.

the styrofoam and small volume of cool indoor air should make sure that even in a black car in Florida - it will be cooler inside than out.

if you were really, really concerned you could wrap an icepack in a towel and put in there as well (underneath the ipads) to keep the temps even lower.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
buy a cheap styrofoam cooler and put them inside it while inside your house and then close the lid.

the styrofoam and small volume of cool indoor air should make sure that even in a black car in Florida - it will be cooler inside than out.

if you were really, really concerned you could wrap an icepack in a towel and put in there as well (underneath the ipads) to keep the temps even lower.

Considered doing the towel/ice pack thing, but the cooler idea sounds great.

Much appreciated. :)

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
Bring an ice-cooler along, wrap the iPad in something and buffer it from the ice, then shove it into the cooler. :D

edit: Haha, someone beat me to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.