So I went legit, and added the iPhone Data..Now what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacMan93, Sep 4, 2008.

1. MacMan93 macrumors member

Well, heres some background. Up until recently I had been using my iPhone jailbroken and activated on ATT Prepaid Pay-As You go. Then I had my mom finally start a family plan and we did the whole sign up, get the free phone then switch sim cards. On the website ATT recongnized my phone as and iPhone but it also had the data plan disabled(which is what I wanted at the time)

SO, I figured hey, its legit, I'll upgrade to 2.02 and have a completly legit phone, well on the update and reactivation it added the iPhone Data plan to the line. At first I was like OK, ill just take it off when the activations done.

Then I go to MyAccount on ATT and go to disable the iPhone Data plan...to my surprise THERE IS NO MORE OPTION TO DO THIS? oh noes. So, i kinda was like uhhhh until I calculated that its only $240 for the whole year, and decided to just keep the plan and pay my mom. (When I tell her she may get a little pissed as she thinks its a waste even if its MY money and my interests, as I've ALWAYS wanted the data plan) But I think It will be good, I have the $240 lined up and reserved for the plan.

Now the question is, when will it be enabled? Does it wait till the next billing cycle or no?(all i did was add the iphone data) I think my next billing cycle is 9/22. I just don't wanna get charged a ton of extra fees if it doesn't kick in now and it goes by the .01 a kb ripoff.

I can't wait to have internet everywere. woot. :apple:

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

The data plan should added immediately to your account. Also if you have an iPhone 3G it is $30/month for $360/yr. The 2G iPhone would be $240.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Activation should be immediate, what they will do is charge you a prorated amount for your first billing cycle.:cool:

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Its worth the money. Tell her its for school or something. Can't ever go wrong with the education line.

5. MacMan93 thread starter macrumors member

Cool. Thanks guys.

By any chance would you know what the Prorated amount would be? Is that the activation fee?(36$)

EDIT: Its the good ole 2G. I want the 3G, but I'm going to wait as I don't really need it right now.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The prorated amount will vary, and the activation fee will be $36, and it is not prorated. Yup, $36 is the activation fee, regardless of the phone you are activating...:(

7. MacMan93 thread starter macrumors member

OHHH, I miss understood, like I won't get charged the full $20...but a smaller amount based on the time remaining in the months billing cycle?

Also, I may not have to pay an activation fee....because the plan(the FamilyShare for regular phones) was already activated, but when I restored my phone to 2.0.2 I had to go through iTunes to activate the phone.(not the service but the phone itself) Through that it added the data plan that was previously not there. Do I, or do I not have to pay the fee?

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My first data plan charge was $16, and if the activation fee does show-up on your next bill, give AT&T a call and they "should" remove it.

9. MacMan93 thread starter macrumors member

I'm already lovin it!

I set up my Visual Voice mail and did some surfing on EDGE.(As a test, i have wifi)

I got the Blue Square with a Dot(GPRS.. didnt know what it was...it suprised me for a sec) for a minute or 2 then it switched back to the E....so I may not have the best connection at my house, it wasnt fast, but it wasn't SLOW.....

I also really like the AppStore and 2.0.2 in general....very nice! (I was previously on 1.1.4 for the longest time)

10. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

I would give her around $280, to cover tax, even if it's not that much. Parents like getting extra money too.

m