So I went to the Apple store yesterday..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sonicpace, Aug 8, 2014.

1. sonicpace macrumors newbie

Here are my thoughts after checking out the iMacs in person:

I've been considering buying a new iMac for the last couple weeks. It's been awhile since I've had a desktop and a mac for that matter. So you could say that I'm in the market for a new machine. Whatever I buy though has to last me for at least 4 years, as I tend to hold onto my machines for a long time.

After viewing both the 21.5" and 27" iMacs, I can definitely say that I prefer the size of the 21.5" machine. The 27" iMac just seems too large. I could probably get used to a 24" display, but 27" for me is just a little bit too big.

It is such a shame that Apple doesn't offer the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M on the higher end 21.5" iMac model. I'm interested in completely maxing out my machine, but I'm not able to adjust the graphics card, unless I were to spring for the highest end 27" model. What a pity.

The biggest surprise, was that I found the display somewhat grainy on the 21.5" model. Maybe I've just become accustomed to retina and very high resolution screens, but I noticed that text just wasn't sharp. The screen, while still good, I feel desperately needs a resolution bump. It doesn't even need to be retina, but a higher resolution option would be very welcome.

Does anyone here feel that the iMacs could be updated before the holiday season? Perhaps with higher resolution displays or maybe even retina screens?

2. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

That they are working on retina iMac's is a fact. When they come out is the question.

4 years with a iMac is not even a challenge. I've updated a 7 year old iMac to Mavericks yesterday and it works without a struggle.

3. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

When I was comparing the 21 and 27, I could see that the 21" text wasn't as sharp as the 27" And also it was nice to be able to have two web pages up side by side on the 27", where on the 21" you can't.

I got the 27", and at first it seemed pretty freaking big, but now it's normal size to me and wouldn't think about a smaller display.

At this time, I do see the dilemma in waiting for a higher resolution imac if you're looking to keep it for a while.

If I didn't have my iMac now, I might be interested in a higher resolution thunderbolt display and a new redesigned or whatever updated mini.

4. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

if going from a 24 monitor then id go with the 27 inch,don't downgrade and to be honest i thought the 27 was going to be big but i got use to it the same day i got it also didn't bother my eyes or nothing.

5. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

When Apple is ready to throw in next-generation video cards into the iMacs (at little or no additional cost), that's when Retina iMacs will be released, methinks.

----------

iMac refresh for late 2014 is a possibility. But it's a very slim chance that they would be ready for Retina feature. I don't think that's coming until 2015-2016 time frame, IMHO.

6. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

The display on the 21 inch is much lower resolution than the 27 inch.

7. khedden macrumors member

21.5" = 102 ppi
    27" = 109 ppi

It's lower, but I don't know that would be classified as much lower.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think the placebo effect is happening here. The 21.5" has a ppi of 102 whereas the 27" is only slightly denser at 109. I doubt most people would notice.

EDIT: SNAP!

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

LOL, you know that for a fact eh? Can you quote your sources?

10. Larry-K macrumors 68000

Yes, but the word "Retina" wasn't printed on the box.

11. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Prior to getting my Late 2012 27 inch iMac, I had a 21 inch monitor with my Windows PC. Pretty much within a couple of days I'd gotten used to the extra size of the 27 inch. The initial "god that screen seems huge" soon past and I got used to it very quickly.

My advice is, if you can only get your desired specification on the 27 inch iMac and providing you have the room, then I would definitely go with the 27 iMac.

Another consideration is, on the 27 inch iMac, the ram is user upgradable via a little access door/panel on the back. Whereas on the 21 inch model its not possible to upgrade the ram yourself. You might not need to add more ram now, but you might want to in the future. Also, Apple charge a fortune for extra ram, so its considerable cheaper to purchase from elsewhere and add it yourself.

12. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

it's not like everybody needs it but the current iMacs have TB1 ports rMBP have TB2 ports. The next one will probably have it. The TB2 controller is even faster when you connect TB1 devices to it. I saw benchmarks on a site and the chipset is faster. So if you want to hook a 4k or need crazy transfer rate, you may want to wait.

13. sonicpace thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info, slayer. I didn't know about that. Another reason for me to wait for the next models.

14. Eduardot macrumors member

Screen Sizes

I came from a windows 7 environment with 4 22 inch screens to a three 27 inch imac setup.
    The mere size and opportunity of having a bigger desktop to work with and the easiness of having multiple programs open with more screen real estate available is what makes the 27 inch iMac the best desktop in todays market. Aside i coupled two extra monitors to it and i really love my working setup.

Its like the multimonitor setup, once you try multiple screens on one desktop setup, you cannot go back to one screen.
    Once you try the 27 inch iMac, you cannot go back to whatever you were using.

Give it a try......!!!!!!!

15. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

Rud3Bwoy

this i thought the 27 was going to be huge but not really.

16. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Just curious, so you have 3 27" iMacs or 1 iMac with 2 screens?