So I went to the local AT&T store today...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmstrong, Feb 9, 2009.

1. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

I've been trying to order a 16GB Refurb online, I have a discount through work and it said under the offers page that you get $25 off any online orders, but for some reason when I get to the rate plans I get a screen of text that said, something like, service plan not available in your zip code or you cannot purchase do to provider restictions. I'm unable to complete the transaction.

I stopped down to my local AT&T store and was told refurbs are for new customers only! At that point I had another worker gang up on me and proceed to explain that I don't know what I'm talking about. Any truth to this? Or were they lying through there teeth?

2. seand1111 macrumors regular

I have referbs...I'm not a new customer...So, I would say no, but who knows, the stores work differently than online. BTW, I got mine from the Premier Website. Did you try that since you have a FAN?

3. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tried both the regular AT&T website and the Premier. Neither will let me proceed past the rate plan option...

4. seand1111 macrumors regular

800-331-0500 is ATT business care

800-845-9681 is Premier Support (they can probably help you the best with online issues)

good luck.

5. dave006 Contributor

dave006

The refurbished iPhone 3Gs are currently only available "online" for new customers at $149/$249, existing customers adding a line of service at $149/$249 , or Premier customers that are "upgrade eligibe" $149/$249 or existing Premier customers at $199/$299. Currently the 8GB are not available on Premier.

What rate plan are you trying to use? Normally to just upgrade a device you don't need to choose a rate plan. Are you trying to add a line to a FamilyTalk 550 rate plan? This plan is only offered based on your ZIPCODE.

Are you currenly eligible for an equipment upgrade?

Once you login to the Premier Site, just go to "Premier Store" link on the top left since you only want to upgrade the device.

Dave

6. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502a

>>Are you currenly eligible for an equipment upgrade?

Yep. I still can't get past this:

"We’re sorry, there are no plans available based on the options selected, your ZIP Code, and the account permissions set by your employer. Please try again."

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

OK, it sounds like you are going down the wrong purchase path. If you end up with a "Basket" on the right side of the screen that lists the flow as; Phone, Accessories, Rate Plan... then you are going down the path for a new line. This is the default for many "Premier Stores". Just empty the basket and then see the steps below.

If you go to the "Premier Store" and select "Phones & Devices" you should be prompted with two (2) choices on a new screen:

1. Create a new AT&T Account
    2. Add to, upgrade or migrate an existing AT&T billing account

You want to choose option 2.

Give this a try and post your results.

Dave

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

9. bmstrong thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep. I've tried a bunch of times still couldn't get it to work and ultimately I just gave up. It just shouldn't be this hard to upgrade. I'll just wait for the next revision.

10. lisheran macrumors member

I bought my refurb phone from the premier store and did not have to pick a rate plan at all. If you call the premier number they are fairly helpful from my past experiences.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My understanding is the $25 discount is not applicable to the 3G iPhone whether refurbished or new. :( That could be the root of your problem (could you check the fine print, and let us know?)...

12. medgirl2001 macrumors regular

I got my refurb on an existing line by going to "Check upgrade options" in OLAM.