So, I'd like to data wipe my dead iMac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by forty2j, Oct 17, 2012.

1. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Last time on Dead iMac, I was able to run Disk Utility off the restore partition and see (though fail to repair) the boot partition. I'd like to attempt to format that partition, so that when I sell this thing my data isn't on it.

It's being less than cooperative today. Thus far:
    - If I attempt to boot up normally, I get a white screen with no content
    - If I attempt to boot up holding Option to get a boot manager (so I can pick the ML recovery partition), generally I get a white screen with a cursor but no options to select
    - If I attempt to boot up holding D for hardware diagnostics, I get the flashing folder
    - If I put the Snow Leopard DVD in and boot up holding C, I get a white screen with no content.
    - If I put the Snow Leopard DVD in and boot up holding Option, I also get a white screen with no content.

The Superdrive does spin so I know it's acknowledging the presence of the disc. Anyone have an input on how I might get past the white screen of no content and actually get it to boot off the DVD?

2. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Go into disk utility again and instead of repairing the disk, format it. :)

ops, replied to quick. Didn't see that you couldn't boot from dvd. Try removing the hard drive and use another computer to format it.

3. forty2j thread starter macrumors 68030

forty2j

Ok, now I need a solution that doesn't require suction cups. :)

4. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Can you start the iMac in target disk mode? :)

5. forty2j thread starter macrumors 68030

forty2j

I thought about that, actually, but it's FireWire and I don't have another FireWire Mac. I'm borrowing my wife's 2008 unibody MacBook, which doesn't have a useful port for this sort of thing.

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

can you boot off a external usb drive?

clone your wifes mb drive and try booting from it with the imac and then wipe the imac drive

7. forty2j thread starter macrumors 68030

forty2j

Hmm. I didn't think a 2007 iMac could boot off USB, but it's something to try. Thanks.

8. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Actually, only PowerPC Macs can't boot from USB (99 out of 100 times).

9. forty2j thread starter macrumors 68030

forty2j

Good to know.

Unfortunately I don't have a USB stick big enough to create a recovery drive.

However.. a thorough cleaning of the Snow Leopard CD got it to boot up. Now to see if the HDD wants to cooperate at all.

10. garrize macrumors regular

garrize

I wish you the best of luck.

11. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Why don't you buy a SSD drive (say 128GB or 256GB < 200$) and install it. Then, your machine will be absolutely flying again! It will do all you need it to.

Just look at iFixit and take your time. It really isn't that hard.

I have an late 2007 2.0Ghz iMac 20" (4GB RAM) with an 128GB Vertex 3 and it's smooth as butter. With 10.8.2 Mountain Lion! It doesn't get much use, but eh.

12. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Don't be scared, I just did it to my 2009. Glass comes right off, easy, just have LCD cleaning kit for reassembling clean, and have magnetic screwdrivers and go through instructions slow (look at youtube examples with ifixit's super cute tech girl).

While you have the case open, do all your upgrades, and you'll be good for years.

13. forty2j thread starter macrumors 68030

forty2j

Update: It took 9 hours, but I got it to erase the drive last night (7 passes). I had to completely remove & recreate the partition on it; it didn't even want to attempt the original partition.

For kicks I started a Snow Leopard installation this morning. Perhaps this baby might boot once or twice for its new owner.

I don't have the time, inclination, or tools to repair an iMac, and this baby has been slated for retirement the moment the 2012 model comes out, which appears imminent. There's nothing I can do to it that will make recent games not choke to death. :p

14. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

For next time, an electromagnet should do the trick just fine ;)

[​IMG]

15. forty2j thread starter macrumors 68030

forty2j

Ha. OS X install failed. The HDD is officially toast. At least it's clean toast now..

16. Huginnmuninn macrumors regular

Huginnmuninn

Get suction cups. $8 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Tooluxe-Single-Handle-Suction-Glass/dp/B003XS9DY0

----------

Suction cups would have taken you 15 minutes to remove the drive. :)

17. forty2j thread starter macrumors 68030

forty2j

Ah, but I didn't need to sit and watch it for 9 hours; I just had to kick off the process :)

I'm sure it would take me much longer than 15 minutes, as I'm too fidgety and too cautious to even do a normal tower repair in 15 minutes. And I don't think I'd get all my money back on the SSD; this baby was going on eBay next week anyway.