So if current gen MacBook Pros are being phased out right now...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smiller4128, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Smiller4128 macrumors member

Does that mean that the release of the new MacBook pros could be coming within the next week or two? I can't see Apple letting too much time in between when the old MacBook pros are phased out and when they release the new ones as that just isn't good for business. I only ask cause I almost jumped the gun on buying an air today but held off cause I saw that almost none of the stores in my area no longer has 15" MacBook pros available so I'm thinking (or rather hoping) the release is right around the corner. How long does it usually take for new Apple hardware to hit after they stop shipping the old stuff?

2. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Generally when Apple is ready to update a product they begin to phase out the old one. The first retailers affected are apples third party retailers (Best Buy for example) this is generally the first sign a product update is imminent. However it has happened in the past that the demand out paces supply or there is a problem with the supplier, therefore causing the temporary unavailability of a product. Bottom line, I wouldn't read to much into it cause it could be a few different things.

3. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken the "stores have been running low on stock" reports have always been a good indication of when new products are due.

4. hafr macrumors 68030

You're mistaken.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You're going to havto do better than that...if he's wrong, elaborate please?

6. hafr macrumors 68030

There have been shortages of various Apple products in the past without it having been a refresh coming right after. In itself, it's just not an indication of a new product being released.

If the reports would be that the stores aren't able to order in new stock, then it would be a different story. But as it is right now, it might just as well be the retailers being careful in not keeping too much stock because they believe that there will be an update soon.

For anyone having ever worked in retail, or ordering products, or hell - having had a job in general, or even having just followed Apple for at least a year or two, this wouldn't be a surprise.

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Yes you are correct, in itself it does not indicate anything but if you look at the rumor mongering that precedes an expected Apple launch, it has been a better indicator than measuring the days between releases or just hearsay. Apart from the initial launch of iDevices, Apple is typically far more consistent with stock than other companies. I was wrong to say "always", that was an exaggeration.

8. hafr macrumors 68030

The only thing I look at when it comes to stock is the resellers' possibility of ordering. If they can't order from Apple, it's on like Donkey Kong. But as long as they can still order, I couldn't care less if there wasn't a single MBP in any store.

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

agreed not sure why people get all excited when a 3rd party is low or out of stock, if it say not available on Apple.com than something is possible

10. /user/me macrumors 6502

If they're out at your local best buy, sometimes that happens. "Keep Calm and Carry On." is good advice for you I think. It's kinda like thinking that there's no petrol left in the world if your local station is out...

11. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Within the next two weeks.

Bet the house on it.

12. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Boy I wish you are right. :)

13. Boe11 macrumors 6502a

By April 29th, we should have a pretty good idea.

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

but thats longer than 2 weeks DVD9 will lose his house if thats the case

15. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Hehe, only if someone takes him up on his bet. :)

16. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Just wrote up a quick contract. if I could just get your John Hancock looks like everything is a go!

lol