So If I am on a call with the Verizon iPhone 4s...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

and someone else with an iOS device sends me a message... Will I get it while on a call? Since iOS devices switch to iMessage instead of text, its using data. Since we know Verizon doesn't use data while on a call, what happens? Are these using push services? If so would I just get the message when the call dropped?

2. steve dave macrumors 6502a

Not all texts go through imessage. Only messages sent from another iOS device that was sent in imessage. Messages sent in iMessage will not show up while on a call. Regular text messages will continue their current behavior.

3. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Im not sure. It would be kind of cool if iMessage and Text's go through the same way.

4. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Right.. but they will push to the phone when data turns back on right? What if I am on wifi? Can you make a call on Verizon and use wifi while on call?

5. steve dave macrumors 6502a

If you aren't on wifi then they won't get pushed until the call is over. I am not sure about wifi. But it should be possible since you can use wifi and be on a call at the same time.

6. seinman macrumors regular

I thought I read that iMessage tries for a few minutes (five? ten maybe?) and if it isn't successful, it then switches to regular SMS. Regular SMS messages come through while you're on a call. So worst case it's delayed a little bit, but you will still get them, if what I read was correct.

7. bbplayer5 thread starter macrumors 68030

Will an iPad send a text though if this is the case? My guess is it would sit on apples push server for an infinite time waiting for it to deliver.

8. steve dave macrumors 6502a

I find it hard to believe they would be converted to texts. That would mean Apple would have the cost of sending all those messages via SMS.

9. seinman macrumors regular

To clarify what I wrote, that is only the case if you are sending from an iPhone, I believe. So if someone using an iPhone sends you an iMessage, and your iPhone is in a call so it can't receive it, after a few minutes of trying the sender's iPhone will then send a text instead. If the sender was using an iPad or iPod Touch, the message would not arrive until after you hung up your call since neither is capable of sending SMS messages. If anyone has the iOS5 beta and can either confirm this or correct me if I don't understand the situation, that would be great.

Edit: I do not have an iDevice yet, and I have never used iOS5, so this is just based on something I remember reading when iOS5 betas first came out (and I don't remember the source either). It's entirely possible that I either misread, or they changed it, or it came to me in a dream. It could be completely incorrect.

10. luked14 macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that iMessages from iPhones would convert to texts but ones from iPads and iPod touches would not come through until a call is ended. This is assuming you're not on wifi.