So if I buy a new Mac Book Pro and iPhone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CTHarrryH, Nov 5, 2016.

1. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I walk into an Apple store shortly and buy a new Mac Book Pro and a new iPhone
    I will not be able to plug my iPhone into my Mac Book Pro without getting a converter? Can't get my iTunes backups. Does that make sense?
    I will not be able to use my Time Machine backup from my current Mac Book Pro without getting an adapter.

Something Apple is doing isn't just right. Ok eliminate stuff but provide the mechanism to connect all the new gear together and to move forward easily from old to new.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Hmmm...
    I continue to wonder why folks think that Apple should provide adapters for use with legacy ports, free of charge, when not everybody will need those.
    Even providing an iPhone with "future" adapters for free seems a little wasteful, as not everyone that purchases a new iPhone needs to connect to a Mac.
    But, I guess that would be the reason that Apple (and other suppliers, too) will supply you with that needed adapter, if you want one. Should that adapter be at no charge? I have an opinion, but I have no real business sense about those kinds of things.

3. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

When you walk into an Apple Store and buy the iPhone and MacBook Pro, you will also have to buy the lightning to USB-C cable if you wish to connect the two devices without using a dongle. This cable is currently available for $19 at the Apple Store.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

If they included an adapter or extra cable in the box with an iPhone, 99% of them would end up in the trash.

Buy the $9 adapter. Leave it attached to the lightning cable you keep in your computer bag. You will always know where it is, always have a way to connect your phone to your MacBook, always have the adapter if you need to connect something usb-a, and you'll be able to use your MacBook power brick to charge the phone. Win/win.

For $9.

This is truly NBD.

5. fs454 macrumors 65816

Also, your iTunes backups wouldn't be on the new machine considering it's new, right?

6. kougra6541 macrumors regular

What they could do though is if you show proof that you own a new iPhone 7, then they could provide a USB-C to lightning adapter for free. Instead of just including it to everyone and risk them going to waste.

Or maybe you don't even have to show proof, maybe they can just know to include it by seeing what devices you have registered to your Apple ID

7. Nathe macrumors member

The thing that I'm wondering about is the next iPhone/iPad release.

They either ship with a USB-C to lightning cable and nix 80%+ of thier userbase with a cable they can't use.

Or they ship with the USB-A to lightning cable, and what does that say to owners of the new MBP?

8. Capt T macrumors 6502a

I think it will be the former...it won't be the first time they have changed up the iPhone cable...

And they can use it...it will charge and connect...they may need an adapter

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

iTunes is terrible. On Macs and PCs. Why do you need to plug your phone in anyway? Just use iCloud.

10. jjlannoo Suspended

So you could afford a $2000 computer and a $700 phone but you're complaining about a nine dollar adaptor lol. Thats like a combo meal these days at a fast food joint.