So if I create a iPhone 4S backup WITH a Jailbreak...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Netherscourge, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Netherscourge macrumors 6502

...can I restore my phone to it's current Jailbreak state if I ever upgrade the iOS?

Example.

1. I Jailbreak my 4S
    2. I create a backup of it in iTunes
    3. I keep the backup file nice and safe in another non-iTunes Folder
    4. I upgrade my phone to iOS 5.1
    5. I decide that was dumb and want to go back to my Jailbroken 5.0.1
    6. Can I do that just by restoring my phone using my jailbroken iTunes backup file?

2. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

No but if you let cydia store your shsh file you can later restore to a previous version of ios and re-jailbreak.

3. EvoLovE macrumors newbie

if im correct its no longer possible with the 4s

4. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Maybe...

Only if the devs or TU guys come up with a way of restoring to an unsigned firmware. As of right now...can't do it. Not on the 4S, anyway.

5. Netherscourge thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can I restore my 4S iphone to an unjailbroken 5.0.1 iTunes backup IF I ever updated to a newer iOS version? Or will it always force my backup to the latest iOS version ?

6. EvoLovE macrumors newbie

i dont think you understand what a backup is. backup only backs up contacts pictures data etc not a entire state that your phone was at one point.

7. Netherscourge thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Oh. I thought it backed up everything.

My bad.

8. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

You can only update/restore to whatever Apple is signing at that time.

9. Phillies20 macrumors newbie

So what happens when apple provides a bee os version (say 5.1) if I install it do I have to jailbreak all over again? And if so, what about all the curia apps I purchased?? Will it remember?

Thanks

10. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

1. You, as a user, do not install beta versions. If you update past 5.0.1, you will likely not be able to jailbreak again for a very long time.

2. Cydia remembers the Cydia apps you purchase. Hit Manage Account.

11. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Damn I didn't know this. I've never had to downgrade before when I used a jailbroken iPhone 4, but it was comforting knowing that I could...

So basically after a new version of iOS comes out, if we ever need to restore our jailbroken device we are SOL?

12. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

In a word? Yes.

I'm sure the TU guys and/or the dev team guys are now turning their attention to trying to rectify this. But yeah, that's the downside to this jailbreak (or at least to having the 4S).

The comforting thing, for me anyway, is that I've only had to do a restore once in the 2 years I've been jailbreaking because of something that I installed from Cydia. That was after jailbreaking my 3GS using Spirit (that should tell you how long ago it was), and I installed Iconoclasm and within 5 minutes, my phone was toast. I'd just started jailbreaking and didn't realize I could use my shsh's that Cydia saves to downgrade and this was right around the time iOS4 came out, so I just upgraded. Luckily, we had a jailbreak not long after that, so I was ok.

Hopefully they'll come up with a solution soon, so we can all relax and install whatever we want without fear of not being able to restore to a jailbroken state.

13. heyyitzmelissa macrumors 6502

I am absolutely terrified of needing a restore because of a mistake

14. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

LOL...I think most of us are right there with ya! :D

15. kimlo macrumors member

Any word from the dev team on this?
    Have they mentioned anything specifically.

I am going to be very hesitant to install anything once 5.1 is released :(