So if I don't want 3.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Small White Car, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So if I don't want 3.0, I have to see that ad for it every time I plug in my iPod?

The ONLY choices are "Pay $10" or "Remind me Later."

I feel like I'm being roughed up by the mob. :mad: I just want to plug in my iPod and have it appear in iTunes without having to click past an ad.

Apparently an ad-fred iPod experience costs $10 now.

Anyone know of a way to kill that thing?

2. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

Isn't there a check box that says don't ask me again?

3. JohnFa macrumors regular

I understand that you want to be able to tell them you don't want to be reminded again but why can't you spend the $10 and update?
    I've asked this before; is $10 really alot in the States? I'm a student but $10 isn't that much money to talk about.

4. pilotrtc macrumors regular

S/He may not want to update until all the bugs are fixed. I'm waiting for the dust to settle myself and then I will happily fork over $10.

5. JohnFa macrumors regular

If there are bugs, then there's gonna be 3.1 released and you're still gonna have to pay $10 for it so you might as well pay it now and then download the next version for free, as usual.

6. milk242 macrumors 6502a

Maybe 10 dollars is a lot of money for the OP and doesn't want to spend it. Maybe he would rather spend it on food, food is always good...

7. JohnFa macrumors regular

$10 for something you will use everyday for atleast a year isn't that much.

8. MD5Hash macrumors member

MD5Hash

I agree with Pilot, above. After reading pages of annoying wifi-less readers who've updated to 3.0, I certainly can't blame the OP for not wanting to update UNTIL there is a new patch released.

But that's just Apple for you. We are talking about the company which shamelessly packaged their browser with their media software in "Software Update" until they were called out on it for the malware-ish practice that it was. And that was for free software. Come on, of course they're going to pester you to update for your $10!

9. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

My wife is upgrading from the iPod to an iPhone. The iPod is now being used for our 2 year old to watch videos on when we're on airplanes or waiting to be seated at restaurants.

So I'm not upgrading because I don't feel that my toddler is going to notice the difference. :)

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, guess what! When you connect your ipod, it says "Accessing iTunes Store..." at the top of iTunes, and there's a "x" up there. Same "x" you use to cancel syncing. I tried clicking on that "x," and voila, back to business! Kind of annoying to have to click every time, but better than waiting for the Update offer to load.

ETA: After repeatedly plugging and unplugging the iPod, letting the Update offer load and clicking "remind me later," oh, I'm not sure, close to ten times, I finally got a "No Thanks" button. Whew.

11. Small White Car thread starter macrumors G4

Small White Car

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

This issue is incredibly annoying.

Makes me want to torrent this damn 3.0.

13. benkenobi macrumors member

hey, I just wanted to remind everyone...

If apple releases a minor upgrade after 3.0 you can get it for free. You only have to pay when big changes are made.

but he might just be poor or homeless, somebody bail this guy out....

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

What if one wants to continue using stable and bug-free 2.2.1 or even 1.1.4 until bugs in 3 are ironed out?

15. gorjan macrumors 6502

I think you have to pay another $10 for the upgrade 3.0->3.1. When I purhcased my iPod Touch it came with 2.2 and when I was asked to upgrade to 2.2.1 I chose to do sa as I thought it was free, but Apple charged me $10 for that microupgrade. :mad:

16. MD5Hash macrumors member

MD5Hash

My ipod touch 1G came with the 1.0 software, even though I bought it a month after the release of the 2.0 software. I had to pay $10 to get the 2.0 software, but all of the updates after that (2.1, 2.2, and 2.2.1) were all free normal updates.

My speculation is that you have to pay once, and then you're good to go.

17. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

I understand the point of the OP. He doesn't need any of the new features of 3.0. So why should he spend $10? A colleague of mine is still using 1.1.4 on his Touch and he is happy with it. He only uses it as an iPod and therefore is not going to upgrade to 3.0 either.

18. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

It is a criminal practice and very non-apple. First of all the features are not all that, 2nd, there should ALWAYS be a don't remind me again feature.

This is just very very bad design.

19. jointsmoking macrumors regular

You could flush the gadget and not feel roughed up.

20. pokute macrumors newbie

Is the update worth it for an ipod touch? My dad has one and I wont have an iphone until 2 weeks so I don't know anything about it.

21. ahjjones Guest

It's funny how some users, such as yourself, think if people don't upgrade then we can't use our device. The OP's device is still as functional as the day he brought it. Don't be ridiculous! :rolleyes:

22. ahjjones Guest

Exactly! People use what's works for them. Some of us don't feel the need to upgrade everytime Apple decides they want more money. It's a shocker isn't it?:eek: 3.0 isn't life changing for some users so the $10 wasted is unnecessary.

23. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

My 7 year old has a ipod touch, I got it free with the BTS promo, same here I will not be paying for something she will not use. As long as she can play her music and watch a video, that good enough for her and me.