So If I Return My Ip4 Do I Have To...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Chibears87, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Chibears87 macrumors newbie

So Ive been curious if my battery is normal and after tonight Im starting to think its not. I charged it to 100% took it off the charger and browsed some Amazon reviews for a movie, 3G off WiFi on and after 16mins of usage I already dropped down too 96% which seems crazy for only 16 mins of usage and something as simple as using the amazon app...

So now that I want to take it back to get it looked at I was wondering if I should take it back to Best Buy (where I bought it) or make an Apple Store appt..Which do you think I would have less hassle with??

Also I am jailbroken but forgot to backup before jailbreaking so now I am stuck with either leaving it jail broken and hiding *cydia & installous* in a folder and hoping the store doesn't see it or restoring new and having to upgrade too the new un-jailbreakable firmware and risk having them say the phone is fine and not having a JB iphone at all.....

So yea that's pretty much it, I want some input because Im trying to get this done early tomorrow

Thanks everyone

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4% for 16 minutes of browsing is not that "crazy".
    Try letting your phone completelly drain till it shuts off and charge it overnight to calibrate the battery.
    But I think you're beeing ocd about it.

3. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

You know I think I can be ocd about electronics myself but I dunno maybe Im just weird... I made a thread on here before and people said its normal but lately it seems like it drains so quick so I dunno...

The other night I let it run down too 2% battery and the results were

Usage:6 hrs 9 mins
    Standby: 12 hrs 27 mins

Call time
    Current period: 1 hr 51 mins
    lifetime: 20hrs 43mins

That too me seemed weak compared to other peoples claims... and If I use the phone on a 100% and talk for about 20 mins Ill be down to about 92% batt

If I am being crazy then what is an example of a battery that SHOULD be replaced??

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

What brightness setting do you have the phone set on? 50%

5. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

My dot on the brightness meter is directly beneath the letter B of the word brightness on the top

6. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Got MobileMe? Fetch set to often? Lot's of mail accounts? Much multi-tasking going on?

7. Hemmo macrumors regular

What kind of usage is that?did you play games much? did you download much over 3g etc etc. in my mind that standby time shouldnt be important atleast on my phone i lose like 4% on standby in 12 hours.

8. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

It varies........What is considered heavy usage and for how long???

9. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

From what I've seen :

Best Buy you can do a return, and possibly exchange.

Apple store might swap the battery or exchange.

If the Apple store swaps the unit, and something later happens and you try to return the unit to Best Buy - BB will refuse due to different serial numbers.

Just something to be aware of.

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

agreed! but best buy does not have the 4 in stock and the apple store will have it.

but I think your battery is fine. if you lost 30-40% in an hour with normal use that would be a big deal.

11. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed 30/40% in an hour would be crazy....

Would someone be able to give me a test to do with my battery that way I can compare to others..perhaps surfing on wifi/no 3G for 10mins straight and then checking someones battery percentage..

Thanks

12. Chibears87 thread starter macrumors newbie

So after about 2 hours of (almost) non stop Internet browsing (over wifi 3G off), downloading an app or two, checking Facebook app, im+ app a few times, and a 10 min phone call I lose about 30% battery and am now down to 68%

13. zed macrumors 6502

In other words, you can browse the internet, download apps, check facebook, IM and make phone calls non-stop for ~9.5 hours before the battery is dead.

I think your battery is fine.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Just relax with keep checking the time, usage and battery percentage and enjoy your phone.

15. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I updated about 11 apps last night on my 3gs and lost about 20% in about an hour. so yes you are fine.