So if I use a USB mouse all the time, it means never charging while in use?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shorem, Mar 26, 2015.

1. shorem, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

shorem macrumors newbie

Isn't that bad for the battery - to always running off of battery power and never off the chord?

I know you'll now say that it wouldn't kill me to just use the trackpad but it seems silly that I have to choose between using a mouse or being plugged in, don't you think?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Cordless mice have their own batteries, which are easily replaceable.

3. newellj macrumors 601

Why not use a bluetooth mouse? There are several great choices, such as the Apple Magic Mouse and the Logitech Ultrathin Optical Touch Mouse. Worth considering!

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Use the adapter that will allow you to charge and use a USB device.

5. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

6. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

2 simple ideas, the 2 posts above this one...

7. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

Yup. Some people only see problems, others see solutions :)

8. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

a solution would be have 2 USB-C ports. not buying more dongles.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't think that people who use a usb mouse are in the target market for the macbook. Probably a macbook air or retina MBP would be better options.

10. Nidhoggur macrumors newbie

And your "solution" is to purchase an $80 dongle just to use a mouse? Unbelievable.

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

If someone's going to insist on using a wired mouse on a computer that was designed with an emphasis on using non-wired methods for connecting to things, then what exactly is another "solution", other than the user picking a computer more appropriate for their use-case?

12. lchlch macrumors 6502a

a wireless usb hub should be fine.

13. Vanilla Face macrumors 6502

Maybe after you figure this out you can help me figure out how to hook up my 5.5" floppy drive.

14. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

[​IMG]

15. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

"a solution would be have 2 USB-C ports. not buying more dongles. "

"And your "solution" is to purchase an $80 dongle just to use a mouse? Unbelievable. "

I guess these haters will not be buying a rMB.

You know marketing people have you figured out and they provide a MB with all the features you want. But maybe you can't afford any of them?

This isn't about giving away computers it's about making money.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:rolleyes:

That's clearly a 2.5" floppy. Get with the times man!

:p

17. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

You mean a 3.5" ... never was a 2.5" LOL jeez man, learn your modern technology, haha.

----------

I know, I'm so tired of hearing the whiners. You know, had Apple released it and included all the adaptors and put an extra $200 in the price tag, people would be complaining about how awful it is Apple was forcing them to pay for included adaptors that they didn't even want in the first place. It's a no-win when it comes to the whiny people who think the world should revolve around them.

I'm personally thrilled about the way Apple designed this laptop, and I can't wait to buy one as soon as possible!

18. newellj macrumors 601

I actually have one of those and have used it within the last 18 months or so. Back on topic...the idea of using a wired mouse on a computer like this really seems to go against the whole design of the thing, I think. :eek: The battery life and recharge times on the Logitech Ultrathin are beyond awesome, and the Magic Mouse uses AA batteries. Either way, no issues.

19. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I agree. As soon as this was released, I stopped using my Logitech MX Anywhere mouse on my air, in anticipation, and bought a new Magic Mouse. I've now been using it for 3 weeks... I actually love the magic mouse. I use it every day on my iMac and now it's in my travel bag. Now I save a USB port (that wasn't really needed to begin with)...

It's all about what fits the user's needs. Anytime you go thin, you give something up. You can't expect everything for everyone in a ultra-thin. If you're a MB Pro users, this may not be the laptop for you.... but I have found that many people buy the "pro" because they think they're a "pro" when they're really not. I have work friends who say well it's a work computer so I need the "pro" model... pretty sure it checks Outlook email and surfs the web and types word documents just the same as every laptop made in 2005. LOL.

20. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

You hit it on the nail. When I first saw there was only one port I wasn't happy. Then I thought about how often (and people really - seriously- need to do this) in the last year I have charged and used my laptop as the same time. It's less than five times - easy. With that being said it doesn't matter. 90% of the time I charge my laptop at night or when I'm not using it. A full charge on my MBA takes less than one hour, and I would even bet it takes maybe 40 minutes.

21. Rlong405 macrumors member

No, no, no - please go back off topic. I want to I know why you used a disk drive in the last 18 months. I bought one of these years ago when they started removing them from PCs and I still had various disks but haven't used it anywhere near recently.

22. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Plus, honestly, if you need to put in a USB drive or temporarily hook it up to a monitor or printer or whatnot, you can unplug the powercord for a second.

Also, Apple hasn't been selling this as a desktop/laptop computer. By that I mean I know that lots of people uses their laptops as mostly desktops with the option of taking it out somewhere when the need to have it on the road. This is perfectly understandable. Those people should probably buy a MBP or MBA though. Event the MBA, with it's non-retina screen, shouldn't matter if you're spending most of the time hooking it up to another screen at home. This is why I don't understand all the hub-bubb with "can it drive a 4K screen?". Just buy the MBA if you want to drive that screen. It has a better graphics card, more ports, and if you're hooking it up to a 4K screen, who cares what the MBA screen is like. The benefit of the new rMB is portability. If you're mostly using it as a desktop, you're not taking advantage of what the rMB has over the other MB lines at the expense of everything else people seem to be complaining about (lack of ports, graphics card).

23. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I still use floppy disks now and then because some of the old test equipment I use requires a floppy disk to get any data off of them (screen prints, etc).

24. newellj macrumors 601

I needed to install an older program that I only had on old 1.44 "floppies." The drive is a nice Panasonic unit, USB 2.0. Pretty funny, it's one of the few cases where the USB 2.0 interface can't possibly slow down data transfer.

25. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

Good point! Mine is a USB one too. I was meant to go in an old Dell laptop of mine (although it also has the USB option). That laptop is now dead but the floppy drive lives on.

I forgotten, is 'floppy drive' even the right term?