So if I'm currently on Verizon and want to switch to T-Mobile, can someone explain?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andyACEcandy, Sep 26, 2014.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I know T-Mobile will pay off my ETF... so I'm wondering what happens if I sign/renew a 2-year contract with Verizon today and get an iPhone 6 Plus for $299.

Can I then just switch over to T-Mobile and have them pay off my Verizon cancellation ETF? Keep the iPhone 6 Plus that I got for $299... and give T-Mobile some old blackberry or something? Then, sell the Verizon iPhone 6 Plus for the extra spending cash I'd need to get the iPhone 6 Plus through T-Mobile.

Does all of that make sense? That sounds too good to be true... like there's some kind of loophole.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

They will want your 6plus. Itll be noted in your etf paperwork.

3. cnotes2019 Suspended

Why would you sell the verizon iphone plus and get the tmobile version when the verizon model works fully on tmobile??

4. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? I thought all you had to do was trade in ANY working phone... not necessarily your newest phone.

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

You can't seriously can be that dense. You are obligated to turn in the phone that you received in trade for signing a new contract. You seriously think the carrier would be content if you tuned in a 10 year old flip phone? You trading in your phone is how they offset the cost of paying off your contract.

6. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, got it.

Second question... what if I don't sign a 2 year agreement with Verizon. What phone do I have to trade-in to T-Mobile then? Any phone? Or the one I'm currently using?

So basically, you have to trade in the phone you're currently using? I swear I've heard of people trading in old crappy flip phones and it working.

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

If you don't sign a contract then there should be no ETF.

8. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

You can check to see which phones TMO accepts here. The better the phone, the greater the trade in value.

Save yourself the headache with this scam and just sell the phone you currently have or trade that one in for the new iPhone w/ TMO if that's what you really want. As far as cost savings, no one here is going to run the numbers for you to see if you'll be able to get a free phone out of it.

9. wxman2003 Suspended

You will pay more than just the ETF. You will have to pay 1 month's service and activation fee to Verizon. So that $299 phone will cost you and additional $350 ETF, $35 activation fee, plus at least $80 for your first month. Add that up, and that iPhone will cost you at least $765. Just buy it outright, and get a cheaper t mobile plan that will save you money in the long run. if you save $20 a month off your bill, that's $480 over 2 years. Almost enough to pay for that phone.

10. Nexus4144 macrumors member

I would just give a call to T-Mobile and ask them! To my understanding if you pay the ETF, the phone is yours. I mean isn't that the point of the ETF? Either way, give a call to T-Mobile and ask them if they can waive the trade in requirement. When I switched to them, I didn't have to trade in any phones and had them pay for the ETF's. Granted I had 6 lines I was switching, but its still worth a shot!

11. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

#confused

I'm actually just trying to help a friend out lol. Looks like I'll need to give T-Mobile a call or visit a store and get the specifics down.

12. brand macrumors 601

brand

Is your friend not capable of picking up a phone and making a call or walking/rolling into a T-Mobile store?

13. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Meh we were just talking about it today. What the **** is your problem? Dick.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

It was an honest question. There is no reason for you to get your feelings hurt about it and resort to calling people names.

You didn't answer my question.

15. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

k