So if the iPhone is aluminum...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by waloshin, Oct 1, 2011.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

So if the iPhone is aluminum does that mean no more White iPhone?

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

3. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

I can't see an aluminum backed iPhone not having a black plastic spot for reception.

4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Whats stopping them from using the Apple logo that they could make out of black plastic for reception?

5. LoganT macrumors 68020

Liquid metal perhaps?

----------

Well the iPhone 1st gen already had problems with reception, and the black bar was much bigger than the Apple logo.

A combination of the two could be a good idea though.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

That logo is a bit small to transmit different signals like GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, and cellular signals.

7. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Don't they normally use that for the wifi antenna?

8. neile45 macrumors regular

it could always look like the iPad 3g on the back with the plastic up top on the back

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I think the bottom may be a better location since there is more room there and there isn't a camera there to take up space.

I've always though of putting it on the bottom because when you take a call or hold it in your hand, you usually hold the bottom mostly. Doing this covers the black plastic and makes the phone look more uniform. (Referring to iPhone 2G)

10. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

So you put your hand over the bar that gives you signal? I think we've seen this problem before.

11. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Exactly. If they couldn't do it with the iPad 3G which has a much bigger Apple logo than the iPhone, they sure can't do it with the iPhone 5. And they wouldn't risk having a bad antenna again with all the bad attention the iPhone 4 has gotten last year. So either there's a large plastic strip somewhere, or the iPhone 5 is plastic / glass again.

----------

Yeah but the problem was mostly due to the fact that the antenna was external on the iPhone 4. On the original iPhone there was plastic covering it and nobody complained about any deathgrip.

12. trims macrumors regular

LiquidMetal makes good aerials apparently:

http://tinyurl.com/6yeqsry

LiquidMetal is also a lot tougher than aluminium. I have a Sandisk Cruzer 'Titanium' made from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99439o7AMpc

I'd like an iPhone made of the stuff. While I appreciate this wouldn't stop the glass screen problems, it would be better than having glass front and back :cool:

13. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

It could look cool (maybe) if the front plastic/glass curved on to the top of the device to allow for good reception. A black front curing on the top with an aluminum back could look really cool...like the back hinge of the MBP.

14. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Your worries are over its a 4S that is coming out.

15. Bkfraiders7 macrumors member

Or there can be an antenna band like on the iPhone 4 ;)

16. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well that's it folks, this guy just told us it's only going to be a 4S. Better luck next year I suppose.

17. brodas macrumors regular

Ha ha lmfao

18. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about that. It's innovation man. Did you ever think that they'd pull a stainless steal band around the phone so it can act as an antenna? I never even imagined it. Of course, I'm as far from an engineer as I am from the sun, but still. If it's supposed to be this legendary piece of hardware that we imagine it to be, they might have some tricks up their sleeves. I just hope we don't get an antenna problem again :p

Looks like Apple's last minute push to lower fan expectations so it can smash through on Oct 4th is working on you. ;)

19. o0jelly0o macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I was being highly sarcastic when I quoted that other dude. I believe there will be a redesigned phone called an iPhone 5.